3rd Gen rear axle and driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen rear axle and driveshaft

From searching I found a post that said that 3rd Gen driveshafts will fit 4th Gen cars, can anyone confirm this?

Also, are the 3rd Gen rear axles the same size as the 4th Gens? Does anyone know which LSD unit the 3rd Gen IROCs used? Does anyone know how I can find this information out other than endlessly searching other message boards. If the axles are not the same, do they use the same differential so that the gears from a 3rd Gen will work in a 4th Gen differential?
    1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

Re: 3rd Gen rear axle and driveshaft

3rd gen driveshaft will fit a 4th gen

rear diffs are the same(with a few exceptions, older ones have a 7.5 10 bolt insted of 7.6whatever, and some late irocs and t/a's have a aussie 9 bolt),but a 3rd gen axle is narrower than a 4th gen
    Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

specifically the rear axle I can get is from an 88 or 89 IROC with 2.73 gears and posi. I am looking to use my stock 3.08 gears with the posi unit, and since you just said 3rd Gens are narrower and both my stock and the IROC axle have drum brakes, I guess I will have the posi unti put in my current differential.
      1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

Comment

Originally posted by Jaymatic
        specifically the rear axle I can get is from an 88 or 89 IROC with 2.73 gears and posi. I am looking to use my stock 3.08 gears with the posi unit, and since you just said 3rd Gens are narrower and both my stock and the IROC axle have drum brakes, I guess I will have the posi unti put in my current differential.

yep, or you might be able to run a narrower wheels or something with a crazy offset, but I really don't think its worth it to do that.

Comment

I am just going to have the posi unit put in my current differential. Does anyone know which posi unit they used in the 3rd gens?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X