normal life spand of stock clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• normal life spand of stock clutch?

whats the average life spand that should be expected from the stock clutch? my dad's trying to talk me into buying a spec clutch now before i order my header's next month. my car has 41K on it, but i dont know how many owner's, i know the last one was a middle aged lady who babyed the car for the 20K she had it. thanks guys.
    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Re: normal life spand of stock clutch?

well I killed my original after 7k miles, then killed the next one around 50k.

if its a daily driver, stick with stocker clutch. If you plan on craploads of mods and heavy racing, upgrade the clutch.

Comment

heads cam and gear, maybe a 75 shot later ( kristen's fault, i liked the juice )

he thinks im gonna beat the hell out of the car as soon as a can drive it alone, and im not, or at least not as bad as he thinks i am. i just dont think it needs to be changed at this milage. the clutch grabs fine right now, it is my first car, but i know how to drive a stick just fine. thats his second point, its my first car and its a stick.
      1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

I'm not sure about the clutches in the fbodies, but I know mine has lasted at least 40-50k and the stock clutch on my Ford has lasted 100,XXX

Comment

i bought my car last year and the clutch went out... 130k
          Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by loser
            heads cam and gear, maybe a 75 shot later ( kristen's fault, i liked the juice )

he thinks im gonna beat the hell out of the car as soon as a can drive it alone, and im not, or at least not as bad as he thinks i am. i just dont think it needs to be changed at this milage. the clutch grabs fine right now, it is my first car, but i know how to drive a stick just fine. thats his second point, its my first car and its a stick.
            I mean don't change it until it starts slipping on you.

But if you do that, get a better clutch when you do do it. and start saving for a new tranny :)

Comment

Ya, i first thought mine might need replacing when i was backing up, then put it in first and hit the gas and it just kinda "rrrrrrrdd" on me then grabbed slowly. then about 6 months later it died.....i was extreamily saddened. BUT, 116k miles, not too shaby.

Comment

When it comes to clutches, it all depends on how your drive, and the power that the clutch has to handle.

You can have a bone-stock car; but if the driver doesn't know how to utilize the clutch (OR transmission) , it will need replacing within a few thousand miles...if they are lucky.

Power has alot to do with it too. Adding a boat load of power to a relatively stock clutch is basically marking it's demise.

All-in-all, it's what you want from the clutch. I don't drive my car like I have something to prove, so my clutch is the stock unit from 1996. I get on it once in a while, but nothing too heavy.
                sigpic

Comment

110k here when my motor went but clutch still grabbed fine. That was with daily HARD driving and weekend racing, clutch dumps. Main thing is when you take off dont go wuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnn and let the clutch out slow for a long time. just get going and get off that pedal as fast as you can.

Comment

166k miles on my stock clutch and it's just now starting to silp.
                    1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

I blew my clutch up at 70K miles. But it was only 3k miles past my LSD install. The better hookup puts more stress on the clutch/drivetrain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X