rim size question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rim size question

will an f-body run faster with stock 16 inch rims, or 17/18" chrome Z06 rims?
    2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Re: rim size question

oh and sorry if this was in the wrong place, i couldnt decide where this would be best placed... me and my friend are in an argument, i say that a camaro with stock rims will run quicker than one with chrome z06 rims, because of their weight
    2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

You are correct. Inertia is what causes resistance, inertia is based on mass (weight) and radius. More weight = more inertia. More wheel/tire height = more inertia. However remember to compare total height (wheel plus tire) not just rim height.

This only applies to street cars, once you are running 11's or faster you want a drag slick with a taller sidewall for better traction.
      2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

his argument is traction... were talking about a high 12 second 97 LT1 camaro. he says that the traction made by the wider tires outweighs the negative aspects of more "rotational inertia" (he thinks i made the term up)
        2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Silver 6
          his argument is traction... were talking about a high 12 second 97 LT1 camaro. he says that the traction made by the wider tires outweighs the negative aspects of more "rotational inertia" (he thinks i made the term up)
          Well if you're talking street tires I have two sets of BFG KD's for my Z28. One is a 245 on stock 16's and the other 275 on 17" SS wheels, the 275s are much better for traction obviously but neither wheel is chrome.

Your launch is one of the most important aspects so traction would win from a stop, from a highway roll the car with the smaller inertia will pull ahead, although the difference may be so negligible that other small factors could determine the outcome of the race.
          2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X