My tires won't spin :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My tires won't spin :(

ive got a 99 y87 m5 and have no problem spinning the tires and power sliding when i want to. lookin into an aluminum one piece driveshaft, itll wake up the rearend. my car has 150xxx miles and i can grab tires 1st thru 3rd.....

Comment

i only have 53,000 miles btw

Comment

stupid question, but do you have asr on?

Comment

What's asr? their is no button, i had a 2000 camaero that was made in canada that had a little button, but i don't have a button that can turn off tractino or anything like that, so what is asr?

Comment

ASR=accelleration slip resistance, its an electronic tracion control

Comment

I have a stock 3800 and my tires are 275's all around and it burns out straight(nothing great), but any turn and if I want I get the tires going, even in second going like 20 no problem

Comment

Forget the e-brake, never use it when you're trying to do a burnout. BTW you never answered the question of what kind of transmission you have...if you have an automatic......

Here's how you do it (I don't speak from experience, I just heard it ;) )

Hold the brakes down, then slowly start pushing the gas. If the car begins to move, apply more pressure to the brakes. Get the RPM as high as it can go without moving the car (should be about 2300 in a Y87), then start to let off the brakes. If you let off easily enough the tires should begin to break loose a little. If they break loose you can apply more gas. Keep pressure on the brakes to keep from moving as you apply more throttle pressure. It's a balancing act, sort of like driving a manual car.

You should be able to do a decent burnout in a Y87 car. The torque converter is stalled higher and it comes with 3.42s.

I wouldn't do this often. It's bad for your brakes, tires, and rear end.

If you can't peel your tires in a manual car then it definitely has issues.
                Last edited by Camarorulz; 12-06-2006, 07:22 PM.
                -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

^^^ Its also hard on your engine. Basically hard on every part of the drive train. Doesnt stop the best of us though.

Comment

i had a 3.8 camaro rs w/ Y-87 and i could spin both tires like nothin...until i got some 9.5" vette rims/tires...acceleration is much better now from a stop...i agree w/ greg, performance over show
                    1999 Camaro Z/28
                    1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. I have had my 99 Y87 A4 since new and it never lit them up hard by just flooring it at any time in its life...now it has 81K on it. It will chirp pretty hard, maybe spin them once around on dry roads depending on the temperature outside (with ASR off). This is with intake and exhaust mods only. Now if I step on the brakes a little and hit it, then it gets nice and smokey...that's all you need for a good show!
                      1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Camarorulz

You should be able to do a decent burnout in a Y87 car. The torque converter is stalled higher
                        Eh? I don't think the TC is any different. Just gears, exhaust, steering ratio
                        \'98 Camaro V6<br />Appearance... pleasing<br />Performance... just a little extra air.

Comment

a lot of times when people get exhaust it frees up a lot of horsepower but for the price you lose some low end torque. Before i got exhaust i could just rev it up and dump the clutch and I'd be able to leave a nice long burnout, but after my exhaust (3in. rumbler) i cant really do it anymore, the wheel has to be slightly turned for them to break loose.
                          2000 Camaro 3.8l T5<br />whisper lid, free ram air mod

Comment

Originally posted by crushedout
                            When I first bought my car I couldn't stomp on it from a light without braking traction. That had to do with me being new to the car and crap tires. I then purchased 245/16 z rated Fulda's and to I had to dump the clutch at 5200 to get them to break loose. I could still do brake stands. I'd say its your tires, get them worn down a little and you'll be spinning again. Until then take it to the track and see what you can run.
                            5,200? Can you're clutch hold that?

Originally posted by camaro19
                            a lot of times when people get exhaust it frees up a lot of horsepower but for the price you lose some low end torque. Before i got exhaust i could just rev it up and dump the clutch and I'd be able to leave a nice long burnout, but after my exhaust (3in. rumbler) i cant really do it anymore, the wheel has to be slightly turned for them to break loose.
                            Yeah, I'm sort of regretting the 3 inch. Feels good when I wrap it out, but for every day driving and just having fun I miss the torque.

Comment

Originally posted by IDoVoodoo
                              5,200? Can you're clutch hold that?

Yeah, I'm sort of regretting the 3 inch. Feels good when I wrap it out, but for every day driving and just having fun I miss the torque.
                              I know exactly what you mean i have the same setup its kinda depressing not being able to have that torrque anymore : (

Comment

my car currently has the open diff which sucks... i went to the local 8th mile track and even with loads of VHT on the track i kept spinning the living daylights out of my tire... the posi i just recently ordered should be a lot better for it, adds to the factor that each tire can only handle so much torque before it breaks that traction. if your putting the same amount of torque to both tires then your going to double the amount needed to break them loose. maybe not double but greatly increase. WOOT! i cant wait to get mine installed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X