So whats the point of open diff anyways then? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So whats the point of open diff anyways then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So whats the point of open diff anyways then?

An open diff means you have a one legger so only one strip when doing a burnout. A posi which is just another name for a LSD would leave two strips when you do a burn out.
    69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

Originally posted by crushedout
      This happened to me and Technically yes but one tire was moving 60MPH and one was moving maybe 2MPH.

O and in case you dont know it, don't put a donut tire on a a rear tire with LSD, you will no longer have LSD. This happened to me after owning my car for about 6 months, and now I can only do the one wheel spin. Just something else I need to fix....
      what do you mean you dont have lsd after that? did it break it?
      2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown
        The diff has nothing to do with gas mileage. Gears have to do with gas mileage.

Its a cost issue. Open diffs are cheaper to produce so they were put in the non-performance factory cars...the fbody v6's. Hence why they call it the "Y87 Performance Package" which comes with LSD.
        if it doesnt affect gas mileage then on the new chyrsler aspen why do they have an electronic lockin diff...that goes from open to lsd in times of slippage to save gas? thats wat i was told by a technician from chyrsler idk

Comment

Locker is completely different. Locker functions as open, or 100% locked (not a differential) and nothing in between. Lockers are useful in 4x4 situations where not a lot of highspeed cornering will be encountered and you need both wheels to spin regardless of grip.
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X