stall converter for supercharged setup? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stall converter for supercharged setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stall converter for supercharged setup?

like the title says! my car is my DD and i dont want to go all out with it, but enough to take off some time at the track. i was thinking about a 3200 stall. any ideas on good brands/sites to buy? links are good. ive searched and researched a lot about how they work. i just need to know you guys' ideas!

ive got a xp-hot cam 212/224, powerdyne blower at 8 psi, and borla exhaust. 3.42 gears with stock LSD. best track run so far is 13.8 at 97, but i need a better launch and new tires haha :)
    Dave:
    00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
    97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Re: stall converter for supercharged setup?

I think a 3200 would suit you just fine for a DD. Normally I would suggest alittle higher but that's not what you're looking for. I believe the stock stall is 1800 so 3200 will be much better for you
    2002 SOM 35th Camaro. K&N filter, smooth intake bellow, 160* thermo, \'vette power servo, B&M transpak, Pacesetter Headers, 3in. in dual 2.5in. out Flowmaster 40 muffler, custom dual side exit exhaust before rear tires, MSD plug wires

Comment

do you have a dyno ?
      www.turbov6camaro.com
      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af
        do you have a dyno ?
        yea he posted a thread with a graph not to long ago, you even posted in it:p

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=72971

3200 will be alright considering you actually drive it. but even a 3800 wont be a pain to drive on the street.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

3800 stall puts you right where you want to be and is very streetalbe stall :)
          www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Not to sound like a noob or anything, but just making sure of something....
            A stall converter is for automatic's only, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish
              Not to sound like a noob or anything, but just making sure of something....
              A stall converter is for automatic's only, correct?
              yup it is
              www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

:( poor ol' me and my manual

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish
                  :( poor ol' me and my manual
                  what do you mean? all a stall converter does is let the engine "stall" up to a certain RPM. us manual cars can do that to any RPM by just pushing the clutch and reving.
                  1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Oh I know, but it seems there are items that the name catches my attention and makes me want one, just for me to search on it and find out it's either a 3.4L, 5.7L or an automatic.

No biggy though, I still have my clutch and I can drift alot easier than you auto's :) See, there are pro's and con's no matter which way you look at it.

Comment

That is not all a converter does.

A stalled auto can launch harder and faster than a manual. Converters also help with shifts.

Don't even waste your time with a 3200...at LEAST go 3500.

I would also put in 4.10s....if you want to go fast with your blower don't waste your time with 3.42s
                      Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

if your going to do a high stall you should also do a shift kit. your milage is going to suck with the high stall converter.

Comment

not necessarilly. u have 3 things to look at: stall speed, efficiency, and torque multiplication. there's different measures of stall speed, but the easiest measure for us is the rpm that u launch at when u hit the gas from a standstill. torque multiplication is the number of times the engine's torque is multiplied when ur launching. efficiency is how much of ur hp and torque go thru ur converter when it's not locked up. I have a 3000 stall, 2.55 torque multiplication, 96.8% efficiency torque converter from EDGE. When upgrading the torque converter, high torque multiplication and tall gears just breaks ur tires loose all the time. the taller gears multiply torque as well. Be carefull with wat converter u get and what gears u match to it. tall gears, high torque multiplication, and a sc will make it difficult at best to get a good launch on street tires.
                          2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

Originally posted by Arctc Wolf
                            not necessarilly. u have 3 things to look at: stall speed, efficiency, and torque multiplication. there's different measures of stall speed, but the easiest measure for us is the rpm that u launch at when u hit the gas from a standstill. torque multiplication is the number of times the engine's torque is multiplied when ur launching. efficiency is how much of ur hp and torque go thru ur converter when it's not locked up. I have a 3000 stall, 2.55 torque multiplication, 96.8% efficiency torque converter from EDGE. When upgrading the torque converter, high torque multiplication and tall gears just breaks ur tires loose all the time. the taller gears multiply torque as well. Be carefull with wat converter u get and what gears u match to it. tall gears, high torque multiplication, and a sc will make it difficult at best to get a good launch on street tires.
                            thats why you dont race with street tires
                            www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

A convertor does the following: (stolen from fuddle racing)

1. Higher RPM Launches: Largely similar to "dumping" a clutch at a higher RPM, a higher stall converter allows your car to leave the line with more power hitting the wheels as you launch.

Here are a couple of examples of how the launches change when you step up to a performance converter. Variables such as different brakes, tires, and gear ratios effect how the converter stalls, but these will give you a general idea.

Example 1- Assume your stock stall is around 1600 RPM. Get into the car and hold your foot on the brake. Now at the same time you let off of the brake, stab the throttle like you are at the track. Keep a close eye on the tach. It will jump to about 1600 RPM and start climbing from there. If you moved to a 3200 stall, it would jump to about 3200 and start climbing from there. It gives you a huge punch by launching at a higher RPM and at an RPM that is more in the meat of your powerband.

Example 2- Again, assume a stock stall of 1600 RPM. Now, in drive, hold your left foot on the brake as hard as you can. Now slowly rev the engine with your other foot. Notice that about 1200-1300 RPM the tires start to break loose. Now imagine that you have a 3200 stall. You could now spin the motor closer to 3k before the tires started to brake loose.

2. Torque Multiplication: When an automatic transmission is launched, the torque converter actually multiplies the input torque. That multiplication is called the Stall Torque Ratio or STR. If you raise the STR, the amount of torque you have on launch also becomes greater. With a sticky tire, launches with a high STR can be down right brutal. STR

3. Shift Extension: Most automatic cars experience a dead spot immediately after the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. It will feel really strong all through first gear (with LS1's particularly at the top RPM because that is where LS1's like to be, high RPM's). Notice immediately after the 1-2 shift (and 2-3, if you get that high) that it seems to fall flat on its face for a couple of seconds. That is the dead spot and can feel like more than a couple seconds at the track. It feels weak until the RPM's get to where they should be, and the power feels like it comes back. With a stall converter, the RPM's do not fall like they do with a stock converter. Expect the RPM's to stay considerably higher after the shifts with a stall converter, completely getting rid of the dead zone.

4. Reduced Weight: (Does not apply to stock style converters)

A stock converter on an LS1 Camaro weighs 53 lbs. Our basic 245mm conversion weighs 30 lbs. While 23 lbs. of weight reduction does not sound like much, it is entirely rotational weight. The engine is now required to spin 23 less lbs. It now revs faster and considerably more freely.

Example- Take a short pole with a 53 lb. weight at its end and one with a 30 lb. weight. Try turning the one with the 53 lbs. and turn it by hand. Now try the same thing with the other pole. The lighter pole is considerably easier to spin. The same is true for the engine. The lighter one is easier not only to spin faster but to start spinning.
                              2002 NBM Pontiac Firebird Formula<br />Mods: stock...<br />1997 Chevy Camaro *Gone*<br />Mods:Borla,headers,Magnaflow cat, SLP intake, NOS 5175

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X