Transmission slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission slipping

I bought my '97 3.8L A4 Camaro about three months ago and have been in love with it ever since. The only problem I have noticed with it is that after I've been driving for about 45 minutes, my transmission starts slipping going into 2nd gear...I'm not all that knowledgable about cars, so I thought I'd post in here and see if you guys could answer a couple questions.

First, do any of those transmission fluids at Autozone that claim to help stop leaks and stop transmission slips actually work?

Secondly, my car is equipped with SGS, so when my car starts slipping, could I just turn that on? Obviously it would screw over my acceleration, but I don't really care about that, I was just wondering if it would harm the engine or transmission if I was always starting in 2nd gear? Like I said, I don't know too much about cars, so be easy on me. :)

Re: Transmission slipping

Well, easy things first.
    Start with checking the transmission fluid.
    The fluid should be checked while it is warm so do not check it right after you start the car up in the morning. Drive it for 30min or so. Pull onto a nice flat area. Check the fluid with the engine running while in park. The fluid should be in the "warm" zone. Second, look at some of the fluid. It should be red or a little darker. It should not be black, brown or foamy.

Another cheap thing to do yourself is to change the transmission filter. Filters can get clogged or flow slowed down by normal dirt or wear pieces. Of course you have to change your fluid since you have to take the pan off to do this.

If it still slips, then you have not lost that much money. The next thing is to get a professional to look at the transmission. If you are going to keep the car for a while, just go ahead and invest in having a transmission shop test drive the car for you. They do it for free. Of course a fix can be costly.

As for transmission additives, you may try them but they are usually a temporary fix. Like it you are going to sell the car in a month or two.
    Dr Todd

Comment

Sounds like your going to be needing a tranny. I recommend going to the dealer and ordering a brand new one.
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

try lucas trans fix

Comment

if it requires replacement for cost purposes instead of rebuild, get new. no reman
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

The stop leak fix is a bad idea dont use it , But it does sound like you may have transmission problems. You could try servicing and replacing the PCS first (PRESURE CONTROL SOLENOID)if that dosent help you may be in the market for a new trans . Check out what we have if you like.
            Of interest new units from GM for a 97 would not be new but a reman

Comment

I have a coworker that used the Lucas Tranny stuff, he got another 10k out of his tranny with it.

Comment

Hey BLLDOGG,
                why is a reman. bad?
                My mother's van had bad tranny slipping @ 150k miles.
                so she got it remanufactured
                and only like 13k later, its slipping AGAIN! Ugh
                Waste of $2k+
                2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X