Tranny help..what could the issue be? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tranny help..what could the issue be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny help..what could the issue be?

Well first off, I have a 98 m5.

Sometimes I get issues hitting first gear from a stop. I get a shift wall that won't let me go straight to first. If I row through the rest of the gears once or twice, I can usually get to first pretty easily.

I also have issues hitting reverse. It's grinds (loudly as that) at random times. I tend to put it in reverse before starting up to avoid that. I also have the shift wall problem at random times for reverse.

I dont have any problems at all shifting from a roll.

Ideas/suggestions?

Re: Tranny help..what could the issue be?

also, when the car is off and clutch is in, moving the shifter around i sometimes get the same wall in first and reverse. only diff with reverse is the gear will grind if the car is on. It feels the same as trying to shift into a lower gear when your rpm's are too high and the synchros stop it.

could it be my clutch not fully engaging

Comment

Re: Tranny help..what could the issue be?

I think the reverse is standard for our cars, before putting it in reverse I just go into 2nd or 4th and then to reverse...never grinds =). I have the same "wall" going into first I just have to force it into 2nd a few times then up to 1st and it works fine. I know the clutch/tranny is getting tired though because this just started about a month ago.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
        New Owner!
        by LETZRIDE
        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
        2 days ago
      • ssms5411
        Little work today
        by ssms5411
        Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
        2 weeks ago
      • LETZRIDE
        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
        02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X