Difficult getting shift lever out of park... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difficult getting shift lever out of park...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficult getting shift lever out of park...

I am having a hard time getting my shift lever out of park. It only happens on the first start of the day or when the car has been sitting for a while. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Re: Difficult getting shift lever out of park...

Do you have your foot on the brake?
    <a href=\"http://www.fbodyelpaso.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyelpaso.org</a> A4 stock 3.42 and LSD not Y87,SLP cold air induction, whisper lid, k&n filter, flowmaster 80 series, hypertech, 160 powerstat thermostat, t/a front bumper, functional nostrils, pacesetter headers best et: 15.9 at about 4800ft

Comment

Ummmm....yeah. Smart ***!

Comment

is wherever you normally park on a hill? that could explain it. if you put it in park but dont set the emergency brake then the car will roll a little and sort of jam the pin in the transmission that locks it up when its in park. It just makes it more difficult to get it back out of park.

Comment

Everywhere I park is pretty much flat.

Comment

what about some issue with the lockout on the ignition perhaps?

Comment

I have a 97 Camaro and have the same problem, but haven't had it happen here recently. My friend had a 95 Camaro and the same problem. Never figured it out, but it is definitly something that just happens with these Camaros. Also I agree, it doesn't matter if you are parked on a hill or a flat surface. On mine I couldn't hardly even press down the button on the shifter.

Comment

Could the lockout switch be dirty, getting stuck. On many cars it is located under the console in the shifter. If so on your car, just spray it with some lube. If not locate it and spray it.

Comment

I had the same problem you both are talking about and i took it to the Pontiac Dealership and they told me all it was was a screw just like nascar said...they tightened it up and it was fixed! Im not sure where its located but they something about in the console shifter area!

Comment

Mine was from loose pan bolts where the cable barcket is bolted to pan. 2 bolts.

Comment

I've found that if you take the handle off, you'll see a plastic 'button' that moves downward when you press the button on the side of the 'shifter' to move from park to Drive. In my case, it seems to be bent downward a bit (just enough not to be moved by the button on the shifter.

Comment

mine's a lil sticky from drinks spilling outta the ****ty cupholder

Comment

yeah i was just about to add that. usually they stick badly when a drink is spilled in it. all you have to do is get some wd40 and spray the rods down and shift it a couple of times. it should work after that.
                          Check out my car on cardomain.com!!! <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=844739\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=844739</a>

Comment

Isn't what you described called shift lock? Something like that..

Basically it's from lack of parking brake use..

If you are parking on a driveway and it's even SLIGHTLY angled, you should always use the parking brake.. Like when you park, and then let off the brake, and you move back a few inches, well all the weight pushes on the park gear and it gets stuck after a while (might be obvious to most but some don't know/care).

Comment

man i know i set that parking brake everywhere just out of habbit from driving standard so much lol but i know we had similar problems with our Z-71 and we got the tranny flushed and never had a problem since
                              1999 White Pontiac
                              A4, slp loudmouth, pacesetter headers, ws6 wheels, SLP cold air kit, wings west kit

:rock:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X