A4 to T5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A4 to T5

I've finally decided that i want a manual... transmission that is. Now i've looked around the forum, done a few searches, but i still have a few questions:

Where is the best place to find a t5?

Unless i find someone to help me (< mechanically challenged) i'll need to have it done professionally. Generally speaking what are the labor costs going to look like?

Are there any bits and bobs that i will need along with the t5 itself (read: is this gonna be a pita)?

Is it recommended to do a driveshaft/gear swap at the sametime?

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
    i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
    R.I.P. '07 Pats
    Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Re: A4 to T5

sure, i'd recommend doing a gear/driveshaft at the same time.
    its not that hard to put in a driveshaft, should only take like 5 minutes.

I just took out and put my A4 tranny back in, because I took out and rebuilt the engine.
    I guarantee removing a tranny is more than a PITA!
    I dont know how in the hell you are going to get the top bolts out (where the tranny bolts to the engine).
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

your going to get ripped off, its alot of work that someone wont want to do.
      so they are going to rape you on price, but im sure you dont mind after paying $29229102929 for your suspension to get done at pep boys

alot of custom work.. stick with your auto!
      *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

yea, autos are gooood
        if upgraded and tuned
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

hmmmm... how so?

i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
          R.I.P. '07 Pats

Comment

they can shift fast

Comment

I was unaware that you could tune an Auto..... care to elaborate?

R.I.P. '07 Pats

Comment

in the pcm, it controls the engine as well as the trans

Comment

a stage 3 shift kit will shift faster then a t5 any day

Comment

T5 is and will be more fun to drive.

but if you are looking straight up for drag numbers in the 13s or faster, stick with the auto.

If you are looking for a more fun to drive high 14-mid 15 second car, a 5-speed will be more enjoyable.

you will need a pedal assembly, clutch master, clutch slave, netural safety switch, (think you need a T5 crossmember) clutch, flywheel, the tranny/bellhousing, shifter, center console, torque arm mounting hardware, exhaust hanger hardware.

I can see that stuff getting as high as $1,000 in parts alone.
                    $300-400 for a used tranny.
                    $200-300 for a new clutch(using a used one would be dumb, unless you know it has alot of life left)
                    $200-300 for the clutch hydraulics(used or not I would only go with new parts)
                    Either a new or resurfaced flywheel, can cost money as well.
                    Then everything else....

Also you will need to cut a hole for the shifter(easy), not sure if you have to or not, but you will likely have to cut holes for the Master cylinder which can end up being a HUGE pain. (friend of mine that did a 6-speed swap on his lt1, had to do this) Not sure if the factory holes are there or not.

You can use the same driveshaft, if you have a 2-piece, you should upgrade it anyways.
                    1993 t-topped camaro to let the rays in.

Comment

Originally posted by Coconut Pete
                      T5 is and will be more fun to drive.

but if you are looking straight up for drag numbers in the 13s or faster, stick with the auto.

If you are looking for a more fun to drive high 14-mid 15 second car, a 5-speed will be more enjoyable.

you will need a pedal assembly, clutch master, clutch slave, netural safety switch, (think you need a T5 crossmember) clutch, flywheel, the tranny/bellhousing, shifter, center console, torque arm mounting hardware, exhaust hanger hardware.

I can see that stuff getting as high as $1,000 in parts alone.
                      $300-400 for a used tranny.
                      $200-300 for a new clutch(using a used one would be dumb, unless you know it has alot of life left)
                      $200-300 for the clutch hydraulics(used or not I would only go with new parts)
                      Either a new or resurfaced flywheel, can cost money as well.
                      Then everything else....

Also you will need to cut a hole for the shifter(easy), not sure if you have to or not, but you will likely have to cut holes for the Master cylinder which can end up being a HUGE pain. (friend of mine that did a 6-speed swap on his lt1, had to do this) Not sure if the factory holes are there or not.

You can use the same driveshaft, if you have a 2-piece, you should upgrade it anyways.
                      Ah, thank you. :) Thats what i was looking for.

Seems like a lot, and i'd guess that Strtracer98 is probably right about the labor costs. I'll have a look around anyway, see what quotes people will give me. If its gonna be excessive then i'll stick with the auto.

R.I.P. '07 Pats

Comment

You also have to rework your reverse lights and starter switch, they should be different for A4 and T5s. And if you have an A4 your computer will probably throw lots of DTCs without all of the connectors attached so you'll need to either have the DTCs turned off with tuning or have your PCM reflashed to a T5 tune.

Overall unless you have a lot of extra cash to pay someone else to do it, or have a sweet setup with a lift, tranny jack, etc at home AND a 2nd car to drive while you do it, its not worth swapping. Plus the T5 isn't as durable as the 4L60E and you have the added expense of replacing clutches if you shift hard a lot (and who doesn't?!).
                        2002 Black Firebird:<br />A4, Y87, W68, T-tops<br />Best NA ET: 15.16 @ 90<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02</a>

Comment

just curious Pete, why do you wanna stick with the auto for times in the 13's and below? removing driver error? faster shifts?
                          2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

durability probably

Comment

dont get a used flywheel resurfaced - just buy one new from advance for like $90. and pulling an auto isnt that bad - it was actually pretty easy for me looking back on it.
                              1999 v6 Camaro M5
                              Automatic to Manual converted
                              Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
                              !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X