Who here has swapped their A4's for T5's? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here has swapped their A4's for T5's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who here has swapped their A4's for T5's?

well the t5 in the v8 is stronger than the one for the v6 . The clutch is bigger and the input shaft is bigger . I'm eventally going to put a v8 in also i think it will be ok

Comment

Originally posted by CHEVYINSIDE
      well the t5 in the v8 is stronger than the one for the v6 . The clutch is bigger and the input shaft is bigger . I'm eventally going to put a v8 in also i think it will be ok
      Did you mean the 6-speed T56? The T5 was not in a 4th Gen F-body V8.

If you really want to get serious, try this Tremec T5:

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/tr-3550.html :omg:

Shifter location will however be forward 1.7". But this can be fixed similar to:

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/3rd_gen_camaro.html
      Last edited by FirebirdGT; 04-23-2006, 11:44 AM.
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

the t5 was put in the v8 version as well as the v6 , they also put in the t56

Comment

i correct my self . they didnt put one in there . for some reason i thought they had put a t5 in the foruth gen v8 i just cant find where

Comment

If anyone will decide to do A4->T56, or T5->T56, i would be interested in "how to", and what is required. Thank you!
            With T56 you can put higher gears and dont loose your highway mileage!

Comment

i think it's been cover before . but hte t56 will not fit the v6 without lots of modification . the t5 however is a fairly simple switch .

Comment

I have shattered the input shaft on my t-5. The peices then damages the gears 1, 2, 3, 5. Rebuilt trany was $1500 with year warranty. My car has intake and exhaust mods only...T-5's are fun but they suck.

-Derek
                1996 white camaro M5<br />-Custom CAI, !MAF, !EGR, Hi-Flow Cat, Magnaflow Cat-back, Removed Jack/Spare/Back seats.<br /><br />2.12 60\' Best<br />15.14 @ 90 1/4 mile Best

Comment

What ever happened to the guide we had on here for this? It used to be at:
                  http://mavness.com/camarozach/trans.htm
                  2002 Black Firebird:<br />A4, Y87, W68, T-tops<br />Best NA ET: 15.16 @ 90<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02</a>

Comment

that tremec is awesome. id like to get my hands on that. That should hold what most of us could throw at it.
                    Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

i'd like to see a write up to, if anyone is willing to supply one...i've got a '98
                      z28 a4 and am thinkin about going to the t56
                      detroit muscle

Comment

Originally posted by Harrison
                        dude....do it. i would kick my self in the balls if i wouldnt have bought a manual. i turned down lower mileage t-top automatics, just to have a manual. If you ever think you need it stronger, just get a better clutch and put in in redline gear lube or something. It will be more fun to drive, you will be able to drift the car, do a lot better burnouts, have an extra gear for better gas mileage, and be able to actually DRIVE your car, not let your car drive you. Driving an automatic takes no skill, anyone can do it. I say do the swap, and build it up before you put it in so you dont have to mess with it again.
                        Driving normally, yes
                        Driving hard/fast, you still need to know vehicle control, and with an automatic, you don't have to concentrate on shifting, just controlling the car.

Comment

Originally posted by saltnvinegar6287
                          I have shattered the input shaft on my t-5. The peices then damages the gears 1, 2, 3, 5. Rebuilt trany was $1500 with year warranty. My car has intake and exhaust mods only...T-5's are fun but they suck.

-Derek
                          sweet! I broke the output shaft on my T5 with 50k miles, but my car has a few trips to the track... 3.42s, intake/exhaust tune is all I really had, I was even on used 235 street tires that were hard as rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by flyin95
                            , you don't have to concentrate on shifting,
                            IE no skill

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
                              IE no skill
                              Two hands on the wheel

Two hands > One LEFT hand

Comment

Originally posted by flyin95
                                Two hands on the wheel

Two hands > One LEFT hand

if you've ever raced with a manual you would know that you dont hold your hand on the shifter the entire time, you take it off the wheel to shift, and then you put your hand back on the wheel.

Driving should be an enjoyment, who cares if the A4 can be made faster, driving a manual is just more fun.

and the T-5's can be made to hold power, just look at Malice over on FTV6, his car is pushing 430 RWHP
                                2000 Camaro 3.8l T5<br />whisper lid, free ram air mod

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                  New Owner!
                                  by LETZRIDE
                                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                  5 days ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Little work today
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • LETZRIDE
                                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X