What are they talking about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are they talking about?

when I got my camaro the cluth was burned.. I figured no one will fix it as well as the dealer so that's where I went and that's where I left a grand. Now, something is screwed with the reverse gear even though the dealer tries to assure me that I am at fault... Here's the deal: When I come to a stop, and want to switch to reverse, I need to switch from neutral to 1st, and then from 1st to neutral, then finally to reverse. If I try going straight from neutral to reverse the transmission grinds. I have driven various manual cars and never experianced anything such as this... Is this normal, am I doing something wrong, or is the dealer full of crap? Please help me out... this is really starting to piss me off! :mad:
    1996 Camaro<br />Nothing special really done yet!

Well, if you ask me, if it was your fault, then you would have known you did it, When did it start doing this, as soon as you got it back or a little after, or was it doing it before?
    Then: 1997 3.8L Red Firebird~SOLD!~<p>Now: 2002 Atlantic Blue Dodge Ram 1500

Comment

Right after I got it back... I called asked what the hell was going on and the dealer said I am switching gears wrong.... so he told me I have to do the crap I explained in previous post each time... WTF is that all about?

Comment

same thing happens to my tranny; from neutral to reverse and it grinds, but if i put it in 1st or 5th, then reverse, nothing. from what im reading, you never drove the car before the dealer even touched it, so it always coulda been like that. just my 2 pennies ;)

[img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
        ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

That is typical of the T-5 or @ least all of the ones I own there are no syncros on Reverse so you have 2 put it in gear first. [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]
          2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

Mad smad,,,it's normal, my previous 5spd BerettaGT did that and my 99 Camaro is doing it now. Just slap it into 5th, then reverse. There are no synchros for reverse, so it grinds.
            1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

I think I have an idea what it could be. It doesn't happen to my camaro, but it happens to my Volvo. If I go into reverse it grinds, if i go to first, it wont. I have a broken transmission mount and that could possibly be your problem. Or could be just a clutch adjustment.
              2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

Mine does the same thing...I have made it a habit to throw it in 4th or 5th and then into reverse.
                - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

Thanks everyone... You made me feel a whole lot better... For a while I was in the " oh no not another damn problem" mood! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Definitely the syncrhos ... don't even worry about it. Just run the shifter into 1st then R ... not transmission mounts or fluid, though a change of the fluid will make things smoother.
                    -Rob
                    <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

Once again, Thanks for all responses!

Comment

true, the T-5 does not use synchronized reverse. this will lead to grinding when shifting into R.
                        ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

One more thing.. I would try instead of asking but I really really hate that damn grinding noise.
                          Lets say I throw it into neutral from first,keep the clutch disengaged, come to a stop. Can I then switch it directly to reverse or do I have to once again throw it into a gear and then to reverse?

Comment

ur gonna have to let out the clutch and then shift into another gear, or else...GRIND
                            And another thing, MAKE SURE you come to a complete stop before trying to shift into reverse or else you'll hear an even louder and longer GRIND

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Dojo2000 ]</p>
                            ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

It's no big deal man :D I am on my 3rd tranny The first time it went out the dealer put in a brand new tranny (brand new, as in never used before) the same day I got it back it did the same thing in reverse as yours does, just like my first tranny did. I just put it in 5th right before I put it into reverse and it works perfectly. just start doing it and you'll get used to it, you'll start doing it with out even having to think about it [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                              1997 red 3.8 M5-Daily Driver<br />I/E, Magnaflow cat... <br /><br />1990 Talon TSI AWD-Weekend Warrier<br />Forged internals, Front Mount, SS valves, crower springs, -still under construction. Best stock E.T. 14.3@92--&gt;missing 4th doh!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X