How long did you break your aftermarket clutch in for? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long did you break your aftermarket clutch in for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long did you break your aftermarket clutch in for?

The Centerforce Dual Friction clutch instructions said in big bold font that you have to put 500 miles of stop-and-go driving on the car before you go full throttle. I've currently racked up 350 miles at mild throttle and the clutch feels great. We're considering putting the supercharger back on next weekend, I should have over 500 miles on it by then. Problem is, with the new SC pulley, its going to be pushing a helluva lot of torque. Should I wait with the SC install until I've put 1000 miles on? The first 500 being very gentle driving and then the latter 500 being NA full-throttle before I subject it to the 15-ish pounds of boost that the charger will be torturing it with?

I'm kind of nervous... car's been NA for a while and its running beautifully, but with my luck the torque with the charger will break something before I even make it to AIS.

If the centerforce breaks, get it rebuilt with the flywheel side on both sides.

Thats what I did, still very streetable, but you can feel the additional strength. The tech from centerforce said it should just about double the holding capacity of the Dual Friction, but it will shorten the life of it.

I would go ahead and put the charger on. The first time I had the clutch put in, I broke it in for the full 500 miles without WOT.. It sucked.
    This time, I broke it in for 100 miles and go WOT with the cam all the time, no nitrous yet, but it feels great too.

500 is the recommended mileage. I say do it.

EDIT - Also, from what I gather, your not really "breaking in" the clutch, but getting everthing lined up.
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Hmm ... I'm also concerned about the break-in as well, I might not be able to snag 500 miles, if even 200, between when I do the clutch and when the EFA MIR day is. What's the worst that could happen if it's not broken in? What exactly is the purpose -- testing for line-up and wearing off initial coatings?
      <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

I would not suggest racing on a non-broken-in clutch.

Clutches are expensive, and if you're pushing a turbo you're already going to be pushing it hard. Better safe than sorry! I know the temptation is to just run it and cross your fingers but doing that often leads to much bigger problems down the road. If you can't get the clutch in on time, just go the event but don't race. You'll thank yourself later.

P.S. When is EFA MIR day? Path and I might go. If I don't have the charger re-installed by then I might still run some NA runs.

Comment

Personally I would take more time then it said, maybe hook up the charger but pussy foot it, don't be making full runs on it yet, Maybe ride out some gears at 3/4s throttle, granny shifting it... do that for like another 300 miles.

then give it hell...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X