ESTIMATE on Gear Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESTIMATE on Gear Swap

i ordered the LSD/Zexel Torsen from SLP and have a set of 3.42 gears from a friend that I want to get installed as soon as the LSD arrives from SLP....

...for those of you who have gotten gear swaps could u please help me out and give me a rough estimate on install prices.

I know all shops have diff. prices but I'd just like an educated guess. thanx in advanced.

my friend paid 200 for the swap of his gears. he didnt have the LSD to do also, he already had that.

Comment

Whether they are doing LSD or not it's the same price. $200-$250. If they whine immidiately after installation take it back and don't listen to any bull they tell you. They are the ones who messed up and must fix it ASAP or the gears will always whine. Unless the gears are Richmond gears.

Comment

I paid in the neighborhood of 300 for install of gears and LSD.
        2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

Why would they whine?
          2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

200 bucks for my install included all bearings fluid gaskt and computer repgrogram

Comment

If you have any mechanical ability, you should really do the install yourself. It isn't that hard, and it will save you a lot of cash. Just set aside a Saturday. Usually, it takes around 3 hours, but for learning experiences, leave around 5 or so. Otherwise, it should cost between 200 and 300 dollars to have it done. And Dom is right, if the gears whine (obvious loud whine) then the shop did the installation wrong. Take it back, and don't take any $hit. If it wines, take it back and make them fix it. It will be their fault. Hope this helps. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
              Teal 94 Camaro 3.4 Liter<br />Transgo stage 3 shiftkit, Shift module, corvette servo, SLP cold air induction,3.42 ring and pinion, Heavy Duty Posi LSD, Flowmaster exhaust, NX, blackouts

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Camaro Bob:
                If you have any mechanical ability, you should really do the install yourself. It isn't that hard, and it will save you a lot of cash. Just set aside a Saturday. Usually, it takes around 3 hours, but for learning experiences, leave around 5 or so. Otherwise, it should cost between 200 and 300 dollars to have it done. And Dom is right, if the gears whine (obvious loud whine) then the shop did the installation wrong. Take it back, and don't take any $hit. If it wines, take it back and make them fix it. It will be their fault. Hope this helps. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

it is a real hard install..making sure everything is lined up properly and if its not then you can mess up a lot of things and cause rear end to lock up while driving...ask jepe about that he installed his and he knows about cars and has "mechanical ability" and his messed up. i wouldnt suggest someone trying it that has "any mechanical ability" like camaro bob said. i know a decent amount about cars and im not going to touch my rear end...if the installer messes it up then they can deal with everyhitng to fix it, if i do it and mess it up i onlly have myself to blame and i would have to fix it. i think its defiantly worth 200 to get someone else to do it

Comment

Yeah..richmond gears tend to be noisy.
                  <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

Comment

Make sure you break them in properly. I had mine done at Allen's Gearworks of Tampa, Florida. Allen is a former NASA engineer who started his own business, and he seems pretty competent. He warned me not to go over 55 for the first 100 miles, and not to drive for more than 10-15 minutes without stopping to let them cool down...made the trip from Tampa back to Orlando last a long time, but I don't get any whining.
                    And the new gears knocked .4 off my time, so it was worth the trip.

Rik

Comment

Rik, i think your car came stock with 2.73s [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

Where's the old sig? That used to crack me up man.

Also aren't you supposed to immediately change the differential fluid after 500 miles or so to ensure no whining?

Scott

Comment

It sure ran like it came with 2:73's. And I suspect some joker on the assembly line must have welded a couple hundred pounds of barbell plates into the frame when the car was being built.

Yes, I forgot to mention that last part...you should change the fluid after the gears break in.
                        Good point.

Rik
                        Slow *** 99 Firebird
                        Slightly Faster Than Roseanne Barr Towing A Freight Car Full Of Anvils (but not much!)

Is that the one you meant?

Comment

what would it cost to have an lsd installed without changing the gears. guesstamation?? [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          1997 red 3.8 M5-Daily Driver<br />I/E, Magnaflow cat... <br /><br />1990 Talon TSI AWD-Weekend Warrier<br />Forged internals, Front Mount, SS valves, crower springs, -still under construction. Best stock E.T. 14.3@92--&gt;missing 4th doh!!

Comment

same thing. they still have to open up the rear end and take everything out. Thats why its better to wait and have both things done at once. Gears and LSD. I ended up paying about $400 for parts and labor on mine. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                            <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X