Transmission Cooler help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Cooler help

I've never installed a trans cooler, but think its a worthwhile mod. I'm considering the B&M one offered at thunderracing since it seems to be popular amongst fbodies. I just have a few questions about installing them, I hope someone here can answer them for me (magnus?).

Here goes:

1. Do I need to purge the air from the cooler before I connect the return line, or will it push the air out and into the tranny, and everything will be ok?

2. How do I locate the transmission inlet/outlet lines?

3. How much fluid should I add to the transmission after installing the cooler?

4. Is the install guide that comes with this cooler helpful in the least?

5. For anyone who has bought this cooler, do I need to purchase any extra line/fittings/zipstraps or anything not included in the supercooler kit to make it work on my firebird?

I think this will be beneficial information for myself and others, I hope I get some responses this time... Thanks guys. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

here is some info that i found and it is what i am going to use for my install next weekend!

web page
    98 camaro 3.8 (THE PUNISHER)<p>JET STAGE II/B&M SHIFT PLUS/TAYLOR WIRES/SLP LOUDMOUTH w-3\" s- pipe/SLP CAI/SS MESH GRILLE/160 STAT/DERALE OIL COOLER<br />FLEXALITE TRANS COOLER/ 3.42-ZEXEL-TORSEN/KONIG MONSOON & KUHMO TIRES/MANUAL FAN SWITCH/1le sway bars & poly/KYB AGX SHOCKS/H&R SPRINGS/LS1 ALUMINUM DRIVE SHAFT/rk sport headers<p>WAITING FOR INSTALL:ssm heads,cam,3 angle valves/trans go shift kit

Comment

I think Magnus had his installed at speed inc along with the shift kit and torque converter all at the same time.

Comment

Thanks Dom and DK.

The article I've read, and it sortof answers my questions, but doesn't answer the bleed/question and doesn't contained zoomed out enough photos for me to tell which lines those are! Oh well...
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

No bleeding is necessary. At the MOST, a one hour install.
          Big cam. Big stall. Big nuts.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethal.net/vids2/joenastycam.MPG\" target=\"_blank\">Idle/Rev Clip.</a>

Comment

Thanks RamAir :D Thats really all I needed to know!
            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

Hawgs and i installed the tranny cooler on my car..install was easy..figuring out where to mount it was the heardest thing..ill take some pics of where i installed mine..its a very clean install and looks almost factory...

Jeff W

BTW i can provide pics if they are wanted..

and the instructions that i used can be found over at LS1.com search in the LS1 help section under "tranny cooler"..very useful and excellent pics

Comment

Hard place to mount?

Right on the radiator.
                Big cam. Big stall. Big nuts.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethal.net/vids2/joenastycam.MPG\" target=\"_blank\">Idle/Rev Clip.</a>

Comment

not if you do it the pimp way and have a aftermarket Ram air or want to keep you Free ram air setup..like i did..

Tomorrow i will take some pics..its a very nice install gotta give hawgs props on his Mad customizing skillz

Jeff W

Comment

I would like to see some pics. I have a CAI laying smack in the middle of my radiator where I would like to put my tranny cooler. Thats where, from what I understand, is the tranny cooler's most efficient place.

Thanks
                    2000 Camaro 3.8l A4<p>K&N, Whisper Lid, CAI, Taylor Wires, G80 with 3.42s, Jet Stage 2, RKSport Rear End Exhaust.<p>Got some other stuff waiting to go on sitting in boxes.

Comment

this is the samwe way i mounted mine..it get air dirctly off the air dam...

BTW its called the "Dope" way..
                      http://fear.net/~dope/camaro/tranny_cooler

Jeff W

Comment

I didn't notice if anyone mentioned anything about any extra pieces being needed? I'm installing the B&M this weekend that I ordered from thunder racing too.
                        1998 Red RS 3.8l A4<br /> Whisper - K&N - N20 - 1LE Panhard - Ghetto STB - 255/50ZR16 Ecsta<br /> Removed grille - Limo tint - blackouts - A-pillar cf a/f ratio<br /> Panasonic DF88 - 1 12\" Eclipse 88120.4 - Eclipse 3322 amp<p><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/raven_rs\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/raven_rs</a>

Comment

I don't like the way the guy in Dark Knight's link hookup up the fluid lines. I personally do not like the idea of using a barbed hose connecter, it restricts the flow of the fluid. I was considering the same thing, but it didn't seem smart to me. I guess if a lot of people are hooking them up like this without any problems, it is probably OK. Just seems to me that the better the fluid can flow, the better off the tranny is.

I picked up a Hayden at a local shop when I did mine. I had to pick up a few feet of tranny hose (f*ckin 4 bucks a foot). If you check out the link in my sig, I have some pictures of my install, and some tips for making the zip ties more secure. Plus I ended up getting a fuel/brake line flare tool, so I could connect the rubber hoeses directly to the metal lines, so I wouldn't have to use a barbed hose connecter.

I have my cooler currently placed inbetween my AC and radiator. I don't like this mounting place one bit, AutoTap says the tranny is running a bit warm (190). So tommorow I am going to put a larger cooler on, and mount it up front.

[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: BillyCobin ]</p>
                          <a href=\"http://www.fatninjas.com/camaro\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro Convertible</a>

Comment

I bought a flex lite tranny cooler.
                            I had never installed one before.
                            It came with all the parts included.
                            All I did was unscrew the tranny lines from the radiator, plug in/ screw the provided connections, run the lines, and instal the cooler right on top of the radiator.
                            I did not purge the line, I just started the car which pressurized them.
                            How much to be added, well, it all depends on how much you spill ;) I just checked the dip stick.

As for inlet and outlet, well I guessed the first time but typically hotter fluid enters the bottom of the radiator and cools as it goes up, I hope I'm right.
                            So, the return line is on top, I think
                            Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                            nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                            2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                            2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X