3.42 or 3.73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.42 or 3.73

which one should i go for??? positive vs? negative? anyone got any ideas? thanks
    98 firebird V6<br />3.08 gears (3.42\'s coming sson)<br />free ram air (cai coming soon)<br />80 series flowmaster<br />more to come

With 3.73's you'll need a custom programming to your computer. I believe that depends on what year your car is. Though, you can get a custom program from such companies as ASE for just over 400 dollars, I believe. If you are going to go with 3.42's you can get a wrecked computer from your year that had 3.42's from the factory.

Performance wise. Depends on what you're going for. Also, gas mileage is an issue. I'm not sure how much gas mileage you'll lose between either gear. If you're going for a drag car and you're going to go all out with the engine or maybe you're just putting a power adder on then 3.73's would be ideal. If your car is a daily driver and you just want something that is all around faster then 3.42's would be your choice.

A little more information of what you have and what your goals for the car are would be helpful. Shoot, you might even have 3.42's and not even know it. It's happened before.
    1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

Custom tuning does not have to be done. You can drive with the gears but the speedo will be way off. I am assuming he mentioned the custom tuning to fix the speedo. Its much easier than that. You can get a SLP unit that corrects the speedo for gear changes and tire changes. Do it that way its much cheaper.

Comment

I would have metioned that you can drive with the speedo wrong but I didn't think of it as something you would want to do.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Originally posted by pgriffith :
        You can get a SLP unit that corrects the speedo for gear changes and tire changes. Do it that way its much cheaper. <hr></blockquote>

I thought those units were only for V8's. I'm gonna do a search, I could have sworn that some one said they wouldn't work for our cars. I hope they work though. I have been wanting 3.73's for a long time.
        1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

you dont have to have custom programming for 3.73's, SLP makes a processor to re-calibrate your speedo, there is one for the 93-97 cars, and one for the 98-02 cars, P/N for the 98+ cars is 63008 ($160), and for the 93-97 cars is P/N 63007($180)

you CAN if you dont wanna shell out for the processor just not re-calibrate the speedo, but the only problem is the odometer will add miles quicker to your car, and if you plan on trading it in, that will hurt you because it reads more miles than you actually have,

[ April 20, 2002: Message edited by: WickEdSix9838 ]</p>
          <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

the new HPP3's can adjust for gear changes. If you get 3.73's and you don't like them, just get taller tires/rims so you can get better gas mileage as well as acceleration and better traction.
            2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

Don't forget the wear/tear from running at higher RPMs or having to shift more often during in town driving...

Has Hypertech released the programmer for the 1998 to 2002 models?

dave

Comment

supposedly, they have. you can get it from jegs for 320. call em and make sure. I'll be calling soon cuz i'm gonna get 255-50 tires and want the speedo corrected for the lower diameter wheel. BTW, wear and tear can be reduced by getting a tranny cooler, like B&M's, and a transgo shift kit so you use less of the clutch to engage each gear. less friction=less heat.

[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: Patrick Javert ]</p>
                2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X