A review from someone on gear swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A review from someone on gear swap

Hey fellows I dont post very much but I got a quick question for all of you that went from 3.08 open differential to 3.42 limited slip. I have an A4 97 Camaro V6, what kind of gains can I expect from this? Is this something that can really throw you back into your seat? How much of an improved 0-60 will this be? More or less I am asking is it a SOTP feel and worth the money? Also, does the slp speedo recalibrator recalibrate the odometer also?
    Edelbrock Exhaust System<br />SLP Air Temp Module<br />K&N Filter<br />Lingenfelter Cold Air Induction<br />B&M Shift+<br />3.42 Motive Gears<br />Zexel-Torsen Limited Slip Diff.<br />Texas Speed Retuned PCM<br />180 Degree Thermostat

I am doing the swap this weekend. I will let you know my impressions then. I will also indicate the difficutly level in case you are thinking about doing the change yourself.
    180 Thermo, K&N Filter, Transgo stage 2, Pacesetters, Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Catback, 3.42 LSD, Hotchkis LCA/Panhard, Bilstein, Eibach Pro, 1LE bars, SP crossdrilled/slotted rotors.<br /><br />Vortech Project 1.0 failed.<br />Vortech Project 2.0 in the works

Comment

DrFix2Fly - good luck and let us all know....as soon as u can cuz i too wanna get this done... thx in advance
      <b>*§*Julian*§*</b><br />*~*~*~<br />2000 Grand Prix GTP -Daytona 500 Edition (only 2000 made) - Supercharged 3.8L V6<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 A4 Firebird w/ W68 package, Y87, T-TOPS!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://myweb.usf.edu/~jadidona/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">MY SITE - CHECK IT!</a>

Comment

It's pretty noticable increase. First time I switched from 3.08s to 3.42s I was very happy. I believe it's .4 to .5 increase in the 1/4 along with a posi. Posi will also give you more traction.

Comment

I'm interested too as long as the cost isn't too high...i know gears are about $150, $100 for a take-off LSD...i dont know how much other parts would be or installation.

Comment

Dr. Fix I will be looking foreward to hearing what you think of the install and thanks Dom for the review.
            Edelbrock Exhaust System<br />SLP Air Temp Module<br />K&N Filter<br />Lingenfelter Cold Air Induction<br />B&M Shift+<br />3.42 Motive Gears<br />Zexel-Torsen Limited Slip Diff.<br />Texas Speed Retuned PCM<br />180 Degree Thermostat

Comment

I just changed the gearset from 3.08 to 3.42 and installed a SLP Limited Slip Diff (Torsen T-1). This job is a ***** to do. I'm an aircraft mechanic and I consider myself precise and I have most of the tools to do this job correctly. However, laying on your back on concrete sucks. The hardest part of the job is selecting the proper pinion gear shim. Supposedly you can look at the number on the original gear and measure up one from an installation kit and use that size. In my case .020" worked fine. Getting the bearing on is fun. The bearing and the pinion are a .003" interference fit. The best thing to do if freeze the pinion to shrink it .001" and heat the bearing in the oven to grow it .001", then quickly assemble the two with only .001" interference fit. I found a piece of aluminum pipe the same size as the inner race that worked well to set the bearing on the pinion. After that I got lucky when I installed the diff, did a pattern layout and the gears meshed well. My honest opinon about the whole think is that I like what the gears do for performance, but I would job this on out in the future. If you dont have all the tools you need, it would be twice as expensive to buy them than to pay someone to do the work who is experienced at it. This job is not for weekend mechanics. Good luck to all those who try it for themselves.
              180 Thermo, K&N Filter, Transgo stage 2, Pacesetters, Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Catback, 3.42 LSD, Hotchkis LCA/Panhard, Bilstein, Eibach Pro, 1LE bars, SP crossdrilled/slotted rotors.<br /><br />Vortech Project 1.0 failed.<br />Vortech Project 2.0 in the works

Comment

Dr, Fix, thanks fro the review. I won't be trying this at home, I have a shop here in town that does these all of the time. What I was wondering is it a real SOTP difference? Is it worth the money?

Comment

im am in the same boat, i am waiting for my gear package to arrive from SLP....

i cant wait! so tired of these 308s!

Comment

Help me understand what "SOTP" means and I will tell you my impression. So far I like the way it feels, but I haven't stomped on it yet because I want the gears to break in a little first. Next I need to visit my local dealer and have them update my PCM to the proper RPO code now that it is modified to GU6 from GU4. This will correct the speedo and shift points which happen a little too early now. Dealer told me an hour of labor which is less than either the Jet or SLP correction devices and no wire splicing.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DrFix2Fly:
                      Help me understand what "SOTP" means and I will tell you my impression. So far I like the way it feels, but I haven't stomped on it yet because I want the gears to break in a little first. Next I need to visit my local dealer and have them update my PCM to the proper RPO code now that it is modified to GU6 from GU4. This will correct the speedo and shift points which happen a little too early now. Dealer told me an hour of labor which is less than either the Jet or SLP correction devices and no wire splicing.<hr></blockquote>

I purchased the whole gear package from SLP...it comes with the speedo recalibrator....would that happen to fix the shift points too?

or would i need to take the car to the dealership?

Comment

DrFix well I guess what I mean by sotp is well of course seat of the pants. But I can understand how that is very broad. What I am wondering is if it is a big difference over 3.08's, I guess since you really havent stomped on it you cant quite get the true feeling of it yet. I mean my car with 3.08s do a decent job of tossing you in your seat but with these gears do they really toss you in your seat. Another question when you break them in is when you stomp on it does it break loose pretty easy? Im looking for sommething when when you step on it it goes and it goes quick (0-60 more or less) but I dont want my top end killed too much which 3.73's will do. And actually something I didnt put much thought into was the early shifting. I was gonna live with the speedo and odometer being off for a month or so but after that I was gonna get the SLP or JET thing, but now you also say the dealer could reprogram the RPO code? Wonder if they will do it here? Did they give you a quote?
                        Thanks

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by smhcamaro:
                          Wonder if they will do it here? Did they give you a quote?
                          Thanks
                          <hr></blockquote>

I'm wondering the same thing. I asked about 3 dealers here in TX, & they all said NO, not possible???? Any info, would be appreciated? thanks
                          <a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/bluethunder.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Electron Blue Corvette Coupe</a><br /><i>13.083@108.23</i><br /><br /><a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/redfire.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Metallic Red Grandprix GTP</a> <b>SOLD</b><br /><i>14.49@94.42 (Bone stock)</i><br /><br />2002 Black Convertible Camaro Z28<br /><i>times comming real soon!</i>

Comment

I stomped it today and the wheels will chirp and you will feel some difference. This mod will not make your car feel like a rocket, but it does improve acceleration some. 3.42 is a compromise between economy and performance off the line. I think you will enjoy them, but give them 200 miles or so before you play too hard. Also keep your ears open for noise. I started with some in coast mode, but it went away as the gearset broke in. I believe the SLP speedo correction device will correct your shift points. All it does is modify your signal pulse from your speed sensor in your tranny to your computer. The dealer I went to can change the computer to understand the new gears and give an accurate speedo reading and therefore correct shift points. The dealer quoted me for one labor hour. The next mod for me is a transgo shift kit, not a shift improver.

Comment

hmm... i think i found my next project
                              <b>*§*Julian*§*</b><br />*~*~*~<br />2000 Grand Prix GTP -Daytona 500 Edition (only 2000 made) - Supercharged 3.8L V6<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 A4 Firebird w/ W68 package, Y87, T-TOPS!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://myweb.usf.edu/~jadidona/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">MY SITE - CHECK IT!</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X