I hate 3.08s...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate 3.08s...

But I have to live with them for about another month. I still have to get my stupid EGR fixed first and have an exhaust system installed. I already have the LSD and ABS ring, I just need to buy the gears.

These 3.08 gears are SO sluggish it isn't funny. I know getting 3.42s will help off the line acceleration (which is slow) but will it also help in highway speeds? Best example I have is going 70 on the freeway, having to slow down but then giving it gas....it is so slow. Or merging on the freeway...I hope the new gears will help.

Oh yeah, I have 90k on my car...the shop that will be doing the gear/LSD install said $90 for the bearings. Since I have this many miles, I figure I'll go for it...any objections?

all gears have their good spots... when i had my 3.08s they were wicked from a 65-70 punch. id pull everyone that had 3.42s, it was great. not to say 3.42s dont have a good spot, its just a little lower. with 3.08s at 65 it would downsift to top end of second whereas 3.42s would be in bottom of third. now about 55 in 3.42s is pretty mean

Comment

Okay...now that I think about it, yeah I was wrong. Going 70 and then punching it does give a good kick. I was actually thinking of around 30-50. Trying to get going from those speeds takes a long time...

Happens all the time on the freeway: getting stuck behind some guy whos doing 40-50 after some light traffic and trying to get around them...it takes the car a while to get up to speed.

Hopefully adding an exhaust will help this too...

Comment

yeah exhaust and intake will free it up a bit as well

Comment

I put on the SLP intake about a month ago. It helped the acceleration a lot at first...either I got used to the feeling or something happend, because I don't feel that kick anymore.

I tried that 65-70 kick on the freeway and yeah, it kicks pretty hard. Its the 20-30 kick that doesn't show up...

Comment

Torque Converter will take care of those dead spots. 30 punch rips my wheels lose from the pavement now.
            1999 Firebird Black<br />A4 3.08 gears<br />Mods: Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box, K&N Air Filter, Direct Hits Ignition, Flowmaster American Thunder 3\", 160 Degree Hypertech Thermostat, SLP Fan Switch, 3\" High Flow Cat<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=273903\" target=\"_blank\">My car on Cardomain</a>

Comment

3.42s or 3.23s are the best all around in my opinion...it's really whichever you like best though when deciding between the two: 3.23s will give you about the best top end over any of the gears, but the 3.42s will give you way better low end than either and the top end will be just about the same as the 3.23s. i don't know, it's just a matter of choice to which of the two you'd rather have. most people w/3.08s never upgrade to 3.23 because they think it isn't much of an upgrade...but it really is just as good of an upgrade as going from 3.08s to 3.42s--it's just a matter of where you want your main pull.
              2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

3.42s hit 118 just as good as 3.23s, if our limiter was higher then MAYBE 3.23s would be worth it but until 118 there is no advantage one over the other, so why not go for better off the line preformance?

Comment

323's here!!!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                  Well honestly no, I prefered my 342's but due to trap speeds in the 1/4 and passing in overdrive I went with less gear and now a taller tire
                  Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                  nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                  2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                  2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> but due to trap speeds in the 1/4 <hr></blockquote>

aren't the 3.42s quicker off the line than the 3.23s though...or does the combination of the taller tire and 3.23s make them quicker off the line?
                    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

I hate 2.29s. Had them and a peg-leg (open) differential on a '79 Camaro w/a 305 V8 and I couldn't even get the right rear tire to break loose doing a brake torque! The car did run OK on the highway, though.
                      \'01 Camaro M5 1SA \"Lightweight\" hardtop, Bright Red, Ebony cloth, FRA, Whisper Lid, B&B cat-back, Torsen 3.73 LSD, HPPIII (93 octane setting)<p>\'00 Camaro SS M6 T-Top, all GM and most SLP opts., Bright Red, Ebony leather, 4.10s, SLP long tubes, Loudmouth, CNC Stage II H/C, etc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X