Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am i getting bs'd??

any help would be appreciated...

I did a search on torque converters and i'm not sure I found an answer. I went to my local performance shop and priced out a converter, and the guy there said not to go above 2200 stall for my car because it would move my powerband up too far...also, said to go with the 11" as opposed to 9.5" size.

In my search i see most people talking about 2800 and up stall, and the Vigilante 9.5" as an example.

I'm running 3.08's right now and wanting a better launch, but still street driveable. What should I be looking for? Is this guy trying to smoke me?

THanks!
    1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

A torque converter will not move your power band really. I would suggest going with what you have seen here because people have given feed back. A torque converter can be like a bungy cord it winds up until the stall speed and puts the power to the ground or so I think. I'm sure someone like 12secondv6 is better equiped to answer this question.
    1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

The stall I think is 2200 on the 3.8. Or at least that is what it was on my old Camaro. He is blowin smoke. Also I would suggest 3.42 and LSD first before a converter.
      2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

this type of stuff belongs in the Drivetrain Forum. Moving now. [img]graemlins/toto.gif[/img]

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: bu-bye ]</p>
        White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

the stock converter stalls around 1800, depending on 3.;08, 3.23, or 3.42 gears. mine stalls lower than 1800 since my gears make it easier to get the car moving. SlP makes 2 converter for our trannies, a 2200 one and a 2600 one. For our cars, I think stalls between 2600-3400 would be best, but that's just my opinion
          2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

9.5" is the biggest it will fit in your bellhousing. 2200 stall will give you almost zero improvement. Get a 2800 as a minimum.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!!! Much appreciated... he didn't sound too convincing.

What size is the stock converter? 9.5" is the way to go, or just the biggest option? Is 9.5" going to keep things okay for street driving? This is an almost daily driver so i want a balance.
              1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

9.5" is close to stock and 9.5" is what most aftermarket ones are.

Comment

Dom, I know that you say that we shouldn't fret about stall ratios, but what do you think is a good one for mild to moderate street performance? Thanks in advance. I hear that 2.5 is too high. Really wanna get one.
                  <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AMinor65:
                    Dom, I know that you say that we shouldn't fret about stall ratios, but what do you think is a good one for mild to moderate street performance? Thanks in advance. I hear that 2.5 is too high. Really wanna get one.<hr></blockquote>

You can't pick stall ratios. Can't just say I want this model and that stall ratio. That's why I think it's a useless number. If you could change it then it would mean something. When you order you order a model and stall, that's it, no say in STR. When stall goes up so does the STR(given the same converter). 2.5-2.7STR is what you want. Anything under 2.0 will not hit hard at all.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X