Changing fluid in a 5-speed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing fluid in a 5-speed...

What prices ahve ytou guys run into for having a shop do it.

do you guys have any tips on doing it yourself.

Basically, looks similar to my rear end seal, take plug out, and use a syphon to sypphon tranny fluid out hten refill. How effective is this. I am pretty certain i have some sort of metal floating around, is there a magnet in there collecting it or should I get a professoinal, flushing where they "vacuum" it out.

I believe there should be a drain plug. Also if your worried about floaters drain it fill it drive it a bit and drain it again and see what comes out.
    2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

I had a semi-related question that I figured I would just post here (same topic). I have just over 75,000 miles on the car in the sig, and I have heard that after an extended period of time, it may actually be more harmful than beneficial to change certain fluids (tranny / diff). I was wondering if it was too late for me :( or if I could go ahead and do it / get it done ;) .
      Chris Johnson<br />\'06 Cobalt SS/SC<br />\'95 Camaro - SOLD

Comment

Its easy to change the fluid guys!

1) Put the front wheels on some rhino ramps, pull the parking brake and toss 'er in 1st to keep 'er from rollin' over yer head!

2) Grab yourself 4 quarts of Dexron III, I like the Valvoline durablend.

3) Grab yourself a bottle of 75W-90 gearoil, you're gonna need the nipple on top of the bottle. Otherwise get a drill pump of some kind to do this job.

4) Get under the car and using your 3/8" socket wrench, unscrew the drainplug on the passenger's side of the car. Let it all drain out into your drain pan - then close it off.

5) Move the drain pan aside and screw a nipple onto one of your ATF bottles, then tape a piece of rubber hosing (3/8" works well) over the nipple (be sure the nipple has a hole in it, otherwise this wont work very well :D )

6) Using the 3/8" ratchet again, unscrew the fill plug (you don't need a socket, these two plugs take the 3/8" ratchet like a socket :D ). The fill plug is on top btw.

7) Place your tubing into the fill plug and squeeze the tranny fluid into the transmission, eventually rolling the ATF bottle up to get as much as you can in there - don't worry if there is still some you cant get in there...

8) Continue step 7 until fluid pours from the fill plug. Re insert and tighten the fill plug at this point, clean up any messes, and take it for a test drive.

Done :D Took me maybe 30minutes to do, and wasn't hard at all.
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cmj917-95cmo:
          I had a semi-related question that I figured I would just post here (same topic). I have just over 75,000 miles on the car in the sig, and I have heard that after an extended period of time, it may actually be more harmful than beneficial to change certain fluids (tranny / diff). I was wondering if it was too late for me :( or if I could go ahead and do it / get it done ;) .<hr></blockquote>

You should change both your trans fluid and your differential fluids at 30K or 60K miles depending on how hard you drive. You're probably okay at 75K (didnt harm anything) but I would change them immediately. I changed mine when I first got my car since GM didn't top mine off from the factory, which is the udual case for our cars. I recommend a good synthetic gear oil for the rear, that way you don't need to mess with it for a long time [img]smile.gif[/img] .
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

factory specs say you don't ever have to change manual transmission fluid. in fact, it's in your owner's manual. most every maintenance book i've seen though, recommend every 30K miles.

i changed my tranny fluid and changed the seal and fluid in my diff last weekend. i used mobil 1 synthetic in the tranny and the diff. i think it took all of 2 hours for both. the hardest was getting that freakin gasket off the diff.

i bought a small hose that screws onto the oil bottle for about $3. it worked pretty well.

Comment

i work for valvoline, and we will do it for 29.99
              Pat Spalding<br />1998 Firebird 3.8L A4<br />BMR control arms<br />NX wet kit<br />80 series flowmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X