Weird tranny noise (5-spd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird tranny noise (5-spd)

When I depress the clutch for longer than 2 seconds, and try to put it into gear, the tranny makes this weird noise. It’s not grinding or anything violent-sounding. It sounds like something is rubbing at something. You can kinda feel the rubbing too on the shifter knob.

But when I depress the clutch and put it into gear right away, there is no noise.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Could it be I need a new clutch? I think I’m still using the original clutch. The car has 78,xxx miles now.
    E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Sounds like a throwout bearing, maybe?
    1997 Y87 Camaro with a motor and some stuff.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sped214:
      Sounds like a throwout bearing, maybe?<hr></blockquote>

I have no idea when it comes to trannys. What does the throwout bearing do?

Is that a cheap part? How hard is it to replace it?

Comment

The throwout bearing is the part that depresses the pressure plate to make it "let go" of the clutch disk. It's the cheapest part of the clutch assembly, but I have no idea of cost or install difficulty, I have an auto. Maybe someone else has info on that?
        1997 Y87 Camaro with a motor and some stuff.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sped214:
          The throwout bearing is the part that depresses the pressure plate to make it "let go" of the clutch disk. It's the cheapest part of the clutch assembly, but I have no idea of cost or install difficulty, I have an auto. Maybe someone else has info on that?<hr></blockquote>

Tnx.

Also, I'm fully convinced that its not a worn-out clutch. I tested my clutch if it was slipping and it wasn't.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's relatively normal, has to do with cones spnning up or down to match the input shaft speed and synchros lining up..

if you let the thing spin with the clutch put in for too long things will take time to line back up
            -Brad
            98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
            2000 V-Star Custom 1100
            If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
            :rock:

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by black98V6:
              I'm pretty sure it's relatively normal, has to do with cones spnning up or down to match the input shaft speed and synchros lining up..

if you let the thing spin with the clutch put in for too long things will take time to line back up
              <hr></blockquote>

The sound is loud enough that it isn't a normal sound.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: IBJanky ]</p>

Comment

Sounds like one of the clutch cyls is bleeding back when you depress the clutch - basically a hydraulic leak. Over the 2 minute period its not engaged as far back and is tougher to put into gear and what you feel rubbing is possibly the clutch?

Just a guess :D
                2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dominic:
                  Sounds like one of the clutch cyls is bleeding back when you depress the clutch - basically a hydraulic leak. Over the 2 minute period its not engaged as far back and is tougher to put into gear and what you feel rubbing is possibly the clutch?

Just a guess :D
                  <hr></blockquote>

Is it a hard fix? Is it an expensive fix? What is invloved in fixing it?

What I also noticed is that after about 5 minutes of driving, the problem goes away. It only happens when I haven't run my car for a while.

Im still wondering what it could be.

Comment

I say it is the through out bearing, this is a ***** to change, also if it is the slave cylinder like dominic says that isn't easy either, I have had mine replaced 3 times because of a squealing problem, I wouldn't worry about it to much unless it becomes unbearable, or till it breaks because if it is either one of them there is nothing you can do but change them.
                    2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X