3.42's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.42's

What is the advantage you gain with 3.42 over the stock gears? I always hear and see members with this mod but i really never knew what it meant.
    98 Firebird 3.8L<br />17\' chrome wheels, B&B triflo w/ quad, window tint, rear black outs

If you have 3.08s think of this...

Get on a bicycle and try taking off with a really hard gear (that's like 3.08s)

Take a gear in the middle and it's easier to takeoff with off the line (that's like 3.42s)

Get the really short one and you can take off REAL fast but you can't get any topend because you can't pedal the bike any faster...that's like 4.10s.

Does this comparision help at all?

Comment

that answers it
      how much is it and where would do u get it?
      98 Firebird 3.8L<br />17\' chrome wheels, B&B triflo w/ quad, window tint, rear black outs

Comment

before you attempt this or start ordering parts look on your RPO codes on the door or glovebox and look for GU4 GU5 or GU6.

GU4 = 3.08
        GU5 = 3.23??
        GU6 = 3.42

I had the same questions you did and was all about to order new gears for almost 300 bucks before the install and then realized I already had 3.42's stock!!

If you do not have them and are going to get them it would be a VERY good idea to go for the extra cash and get LSD. Since you're going to be under there its a great mod!!
        01 Firebird <br />Whisper Lid - K&N<br />Raised Air Lid - Free Ram Air<br />Borla Cat-Back Quad tips<br />3.42s with lsd on the way

Comment

I appreciate the help. The people on the fbody.com forum tend not to answer me and say I shouldn't ask easy questions of common sense.

Comment

one helpful hint too is this: we have a large database of archived posts and info, if you are ever confused about something that seems to be common knowledge, search that database and I gurantee youll find something. I was always a dork asking every question hehe without ever checking the database, sometimes I think people got annoyed with me but oh well. But its there for you so check it when u need stuff.

As for the 3:42's I have noticed the most gain out of this mod. I dont have track times to back it up but I dont doubt that with a good launch I could pull a 14.90. Hell with my ram air and exhause alone I went from 16.5 - 15.8 so I cant wait to see what my 15.6 non gears is going to turn into now. I bought mine on the boards for 150 bucks with a LSD (limited slip differential) youll want one of those as well. I had them installed for 220 bucks, so expect a grand total of no less than 370 (unless you get lucky.

Other than that good luck, look for a SLP Zexel tosen unit, they run 99.50 or so. The gears new will run somewhere in the ranmge of 150-220 bucks, so my advice is to look for em used.

WARNING:

With the gears you will experience slightly less top end and also slightly lower MPG. You speedometer will also be off allot thus gaining you extra mileage, this can be corrected with a reflash of the pcm (call a local pontiac or chevy delaership) a slp speedo recalibrator (175 bucks from slp) or a number of other ways.
            1998 Firebird 3.8, A4<br />Mods: Alum Ds, Yank TC 2800 stall, Rksport lid, FTRA, SLP air temp sensor, K&N, Flowmaster catback 2.5\" w/cutout, 3:42 gears w/LSD<br />Best E/T: 15.6 @ 86 mph (w/o gears / lsd or verter)<br />Best 60: 2.234<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamfoxfire.iwarp.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.teamfoxfire.iwarp.com</a> -- club site<p>To come?: l67 piston package hardened, turbo? spray? low 12\'s? well see

Comment

i can't find the archive

Comment

Just click search at the top of the screen, by my profile, register, and help.
                -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X