Question(s) for those who installed a Disk Rear: - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question(s) for those who installed a Disk Rear:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question(s) for those who installed a Disk Rear:

Okay, my vacation starts on July 16th thru the 20th and I'm installing my rear during it. I bought a 95 T/A Posi Disk Rear with 3:23's, and I just bought new rotors and brakes for it. I oiled/WD40'd all the bolts around the new rear so I shouldn't have too many problems with them. What Diff Fluid should I use? I want to use the best I can get my hands on.
    Also, there is a connector on top of the 95 T/A Rear, I guess for the Trac Control. I know my car doesn't have it, but will it interfere with the whole set-up?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanx,
    Marc.

p.s. I once saw a website that went through the whole rearend swap, does anyone know where I could find that?
    sigpic

First of all put some jack stands under the body AND the axle. Connector on the top is probably for ABS. TCS has reluctor wheels on both ends of the rear end. Are there wires going to each side of just to the middle? Swap is pretty easy. First disconnect the wiring and brake lines. Unbolt DS, LCAs, PHR, shocks, lower, springs fall out, take the 2 bolts out of the TA and you're done.

Comment

Hopefully it goes that easy.
      The only electrical connector the rear has is the one on the top. The plastic loom has two wires in it, grey and white.
      Maybe I'm thinking this project out too much. I'm just nervous about pulling the whole thing apart. I don't want to screw it up.
      Thanks for the help Dom!
      Marc
      sigpic

Comment

what kind of gear oil should he get...i realized he asked this, and i too, am wondering as well.
        2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

Just use whatever you find on sale. I think I still have Track Auto 140W. That's kinda thick and probably robs horsepower though. Just get 80W or 90W. Heavier weights are used in high horsepower applications and to quiet down the rear end and also to prevent leaks.

Put a bottle of GM additive if you have an Auburn, which most of you don't so don't bother.

Comment

thx again dom.

Comment

no problem

Comment

The zexel torsens are also supposed to have the posi additive in it. If you want the posi unit to work you should add the fluid. Trust me it makes a difference. i swapped fluid in an s10 with stock posi and before hand it did one wheel burnouts and afterwards two wheels all the way.
                1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

Comment

I never heard of Posi Additive, but I'll call my local speed shop and see if he has any.
                  Thanx for the help guys, and I'll let ya'll know how I made out sometime next week.
                  -Marc
                  sigpic

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Limited slip additive is for Auburn only as it has clutches.
                    <hr></blockquote>

that's in the tech database of the drivetrain section...there ya go dom, i did your job for ya :D :D :D :D

go toto go, go tell dom he isn't needed here [img]graemlins/toto.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X