Who Can Answer Me This!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Can Answer Me This!?

I have a 1999 Camaro A4. What gears are found in my car stock?
    I would like to upgrade the gears from wherever they are now, but don't know what I have now to proceed!

It depends on what package you have. If you have Y87 (I think its called Y87 on the Firebirds?, it is on Camaros) then you have 3.42s. Look at your door code, I believe the code for the 3.42s is GU6. If you see that anywhere on there,you have 3.42s. Otherwise, you got 3.08s and need to upgrade like me!

ps- If you have 3.42s now, don't upgrade them quite yet. Work on horsepower mods, then later maybe get some 3.73s, thats how I would do it.

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: Camarorulz ]</p>
    -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

My 1999 Firebird V6/A4 had factory 3.08s. Just got the 3.73s installed yesterday!
      http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=23&t=001547

Comment

look on the driver side door at the RPO codes.

GU4 = 3.08
        GU6 = 3.42

Those are the only two options for the automatic. Also check for a G80 (limited slip differential)

Comment

Hey Camarorulz, what would you be refering to when you say "work on horsepower mods before getting gears". Any suggestions?

Comment

Just walked out to the car, and read the RPO codes for my car. Unfortunately I got the 3.08 gears so i guess that should be the first mod to work on. Where could i buy the 3.42 gears,. Any recommendations? I really wanna make this car a wild sleeper!! ;)

Comment

you will need to buy a takeoff Zexel-torsen Limited Slip differential as well if you want the gears to work. I bought both parts off of ebay. You will also need the reclutor ring which can be found at SLPonline.com Do a search for the part number as this has been talked about many times on here. The only other thing needed is an install kit which the shop will be able to provide for you if you have them installed.

Heres a checklist for ya

1.) gears (ebay?)
              2.) takeoff LSD (ebay, slp?)
              3.) Rluctor ring (slp)
              4.) Install kit (shop will provide)

Many people will recomend doign a rearend swap instead of goign through all this trouble, but i think that a gear swap can be done just as cheap and easy as a rearend swap if you shop around.

expect to pay about 300 for the install with the install kit included

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
              Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Luis829:
                Hey Camarorulz, what would you be refering to when you say "work on horsepower mods before getting gears". Any suggestions?<hr></blockquote>

He probably was refering to intake/exhaust/headers/high flow cat(or no cat at all) I would also say go ahead and get an aluminum driveshaft to when you do the gears. You're gonna have the car jacked up and might as well do it when your under there, if you're doing it yourself. Thats what I'm planning on doing when I change my gears.
                <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Just get a complete rearend from a z28 and you will be all set
                  Longtubes, true duals, ram air, caspers tps tec, ls1 26lb injectors, supersix powerpack, heads milled .020, comp cam .507 220/224 114 ls, forged internals and chromeoly pushrods, bored .030 over, tb spacer, tranny built with stiffer springs and kevlar bands, bigger servo, transgo stage 3 shift kit, edge 3600 stall, 1 pc aluminum ds, 3.73 superior gears, lsd rear ,custom pcm tuning, walbro 255 in tank,

Comment

CHECK YOUR RPO CODES!!!

I cant stress that enough I was all ready to go purchase the whole package when I decided to check for the hell of it. Turns out I do NOT have repeat do NOT have Y87 package but I DO have stock 3.42 gears. I sadly do NOT have factory LSD though. I'm in the process of acquiring it.
                    01 Firebird <br />Whisper Lid - K&N<br />Raised Air Lid - Free Ram Air<br />Borla Cat-Back Quad tips<br />3.42s with lsd on the way

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Houston F-Body:
                      CHECK YOUR RPO CODES!!!

I cant stress that enough I was all ready to go purchase the whole package when I decided to check for the hell of it. Turns out I do NOT have repeat do NOT have Y87 package but I DO have stock 3.42 gears. I sadly do NOT have factory LSD though. I'm in the process of acquiring it.
                      <hr></blockquote>

READ THE DAMN THREAD!!!

he already said he did and had 308s...
                      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by camaro-speedemon:
                        He probably was refering to intake/exhaust/headers/high flow cat(or no cat at all) I would also say go ahead and get an aluminum driveshaft to when you do the gears. You're gonna have the car jacked up and might as well do it when your under there, if you're doing it yourself. Thats what I'm planning on doing when I change my gears.
                        <hr></blockquote>
                        Exactly: exhaust: I would recommend Flowmaster, because I love my 80 series, it sounds really clean, but loud. Bigger piping is something I'm considering too. This is controversial, but its claimed you don't need pipes bigger than 2.5" for a naturally aspirated V6 such as what most of us have. Rksport makes good headers but they're leaky so you have to make sure thats fixed. As far as intake goes, you can do the free ram air mod: this will show you how to do it: )Install University.com just search a little if it doesn't take you directly to the free ram air instructions. Some people also prefer fast toys ram air (fasttoys.net)A new airlid (whisper lid) can also be found at fasttoys.net and other performance sites such as www.thunderracing.com.
                        Something else you might want to consider would be a higher stall torque converter. If you're going to put in a new converter go ahead and put a pretty high stall in it (like 3600 or so)

The free ram air is on my list of things to do, just haven't gotten around to it. I'm also looking into getting a hypertech power programmer (sometimes referred to as HPP3) and I THINK they make one for the '99 model, but am not completely sure. There's a whole list of stuff you can do after the gears and LSD, good luck with the mods.

[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Camarorulz ]</p>
                        -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Torsen Differential (SLP) $99
                          3.42 or 3.73 Gears (SLP) $199
                          Reluctor ring (SLP) $19
                          Bearings, Gaskets, Others (shop PRovide Them) $ ??
                          That's all You Need

Good Luck
                          2003 Mustang Mach 1 5 Speed<br />288 rwhp SAE 315 rwtq SAE<br />BFG DR\'s, SLP Loudmouth Catback, K&N CAI<br />60\': 2.145<br />13.41@105.67MPH (Stock)<br />--- Best et ----<br />60: 1.932<br />1/4:12.851@106.39MPH <br />best mph: 107.65

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X