SLP torsen diferential ordered today - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SLP torsen diferential ordered today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP torsen diferential ordered today

i order the slp torsen diferential today for $99.95. i'll change the gears and i was talking with the guy at the shop and he would charge me $440 labor. i wanted 3.42 gears but he told me to get 3.73 for best performance for the same price. the price on the kit $265, then anothers $360 for another stuff like gaskets,oil, and i cannot remember what else. i think it's expensive but every shop around the place i live recommended this guy because of his expreience doing this swappings. would i need reprograming my pcm to adjust the shift point?? what about speedometer ??, i have $1000 that i was going to use in suspension, but i can do that later [img]smile.gif[/img] somebody from orange county, know a place from where i can do this cheaper ??. i still have like 10 days because i need to wait for the order to arrive from slp [img]smile.gif[/img] (takes a lot haa)
    what would be better 3.42 or 3.73 ?? i drive 120 miles every day and i currently have 93000 miles on my engine. also i haven't decided yet but since we have a SC option already from ATI i'm planning to rebuild my engine next year with pistons, heads, cam bla, bla or a V8 so i was wonder what should i do with the gear now
    thanks for your replies
    2003 Mustang Mach 1 5 Speed<br />288 rwhp SAE 315 rwtq SAE<br />BFG DR\'s, SLP Loudmouth Catback, K&N CAI<br />60\': 2.145<br />13.41@105.67MPH (Stock)<br />--- Best et ----<br />60: 1.932<br />1/4:12.851@106.39MPH <br />best mph: 107.65

My opinion would be to stick with the 3:42's . If you want backup on this search the tech database or the mod reviews. They will tell you what to expect with each. I just had 3:42's installed today and have about an hour to wait before I pick up the car. From what ive heard, from a 3:73 gear ration you can expect several things:

1. Increased engine wear due to higher rpm's at cruising/highway speed

2. Decreased gas mileage

3. Decreased top end power and top speed

4. Large gains in the 60, and a strikingly more powerful low end.

Take into account all factors when you decide, I wanted 3:42's because I dont like the idea of losing that much top end, the engine wear thing scares me too. You will hear arguments from both sides as to the 4 things you can expect, some people say its not damaging, some say it is, some say it makes little differance, some say it makes a world of differance. Just remeber that most of the things that you hear on this board are opinions. Some opinions more educated than others, but all of them merely opinions.
    1998 Firebird 3.8, A4<br />Mods: Alum Ds, Yank TC 2800 stall, Rksport lid, FTRA, SLP air temp sensor, K&N, Flowmaster catback 2.5\" w/cutout, 3:42 gears w/LSD<br />Best E/T: 15.6 @ 86 mph (w/o gears / lsd or verter)<br />Best 60: 2.234<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamfoxfire.iwarp.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.teamfoxfire.iwarp.com</a> -- club site<p>To come?: l67 piston package hardened, turbo? spray? low 12\'s? well see

Comment

Honestly dude, what the hell are you doing spending $1000 on all of this stuff? T/O Complete Rears are $300 from speed auto with LSD and 3.42s. Do some research, carefully, before you pay lots in labor. I too have an SLP LSD on my floor, and I'll try doing it myself before I pay anybody more than beer. Now, with gears, you do have to get them professionally done unless you're willing to do it on your own (Magnus has done tons, as I hear). But, $1000 on rear stuff is just a waste.

Good luck with it all!

And, FWIW, you can get rear axles and stuff on message boards with whatever gearing / LSD you want, just be patient. Check LS1, CZ28, and your local club. One always comes up.
      <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

well, i'm ordering the 3.42 gears pn:64048 and a ring reluctor pn: 26029 from slp right now [img]smile.gif[/img]
        i would do a research here in orange county and find a good shop that can install this cheaper. i read aboout it and this guy was trying to make his december with those prices. also i'd stick with 3.42 for the combination between price and performance.
        thanks guys
        2003 Mustang Mach 1 5 Speed<br />288 rwhp SAE 315 rwtq SAE<br />BFG DR\'s, SLP Loudmouth Catback, K&N CAI<br />60\': 2.145<br />13.41@105.67MPH (Stock)<br />--- Best et ----<br />60: 1.932<br />1/4:12.851@106.39MPH <br />best mph: 107.65

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X