WOOHOO!! Getting gears done. Now..... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOOHOO!! Getting gears done. Now.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOOHOO!! Getting gears done. Now.....

I want the 3.73s real bad, but from what I heard, the 3.42s seem to be the way to go for everyday use. Anyone here drive with the 3.73s? I don't care about MPG but I don't wanna tear up my motor. How bad is top end effected? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

If I were you I'd go for 3.42s, because thats what I'm doing. I know gas mileage is affected, which you said you don't care about. However, I don't know what 3.73s will do to your top end. From everything I've heard, 3.42s are the best all-around gear ratio for the V6.
    -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

What I've heard is that 3.73s are amazing, but if you're doing lots of highway driving and/or care about gas mileage, then get 3.42s. I love the 3.42s. I have an incredibly powerful 1st gear and I get great crusing RPMs.

2000RPMs - 60MPH
      2500RPMs - 80MPH
      3000RPMs - 95MPH

Comment

I drive about 20-30 miles round trip to work 5 times a week. Again, I don't really mind poor MPG, (my jeep got 9 mpg!! :eek [img]smile.gif[/img] I am just worried that the 3.73s will hurt the motor somehow running at 75-80mph. It will be coupled with a shift kit, Vette servo, trans cooler, headers, cam...blah blah blah...I am tired of my car not having any balls off the line, even in stock trim :mad: Thanks for the advise!!!

Comment

i drive 30 miles everyday to work also and i have a M-5 with 3.73s and i love them and i still get about 23-25 MPG, goin 70 the RPM's are at about 2600, its not bad at all, and top end acceleration is better than it ever was in every gear!! i totally recommend 3.73's, you wont regret goin with them! i promise!! your MPH will be hurt in the quarter due to having to shift to 4th gear but it will run anywhere from .3-.5 quicker in combination w/LSD!!! GET 3.73's!!!!

[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: WickEdSix9838 ]</p>
          <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X