Torque Converter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Converter Question

Alright I was considering getting a high stall converter for my car. Not too high, I was thinking about a 2400 stall. Anyways I am going to be getting 3.42s and LSD before I get this. Now will I need to get new tires to keep my car from doing nothing but spinning or with that low of a stall should I be ok. And by the way right now I do not have any special tires on they are not radial ta's or anything. I will make a post once I go and look at them, but I think they are the same ones that come on stock.
    1996 Camaro RS A4<br />Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler with 2.5\" catback and cutout, SLP CAI, BMR STB

go a higher stall, not worth it to get that lo (2800 min, id say)
    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited<br /><br /><br />MODS:<br />180* t-stat, K&N FIPK, mopar ECU,<br />mike leach long tube headers+3\" y-pipe, 3\" all the way out flowmaster 50 series, mopar magnum 2bbl m1 intake manifold, APS 52mm throttle body, powerslots, 2 JL 10w3\'s

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tri-Flo 99:
      go a higher stall, not worth it to get that lo (2800 min, id say)<hr></blockquote>

word, only i'd say 3200 minimum.
      2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

If I do it that high am I just going to spin out a lot. I really want to avoid getting new tires if possible. I do not have a whole lot of money.
        1996 Camaro RS A4<br />Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler with 2.5\" catback and cutout, SLP CAI, BMR STB

Comment

The tires will spin when you rip the throttle. Your normal take off won't be plagued with burnouts ... but your engine will rev a little higher.

Regardless of stall, buy the best converter you can afford. If you are strapped for cash ... consider the converter for the 95 S-10 4.1L. This unit stalls about 600rpm over stock ... great street stall ... and costs about $130.00 at a parts shop.

since you are in the metro area, there are also a few shops in Houston that build/repair converters.

For instance:
          Brittain Parts Service, 1114 Berry Rd., (713) 694-0712

Some guys from Deer Park mentioned a shop somewhere down I45 south once that had some great prices on stall converters ... but I can't remember the name ... Trans-Something-Or-Another?

Anyways, good luck.
          You can achieve anything for which you are prepared to pay the price.<br /> --ATTILA THE HUN

Comment

Oh, before I forget, be leary of converters with stalls greater than 2800 rpm and use a 12" or oem size housing. They aren't efficient. As the stall increases, the housing size of an efficient converter should decrease.
            You can achieve anything for which you are prepared to pay the price.<br /> --ATTILA THE HUN

Comment

I would buy a Precision Industries 3k Stall converter. By far one of the most efficient at only 9" and it wieghs barely anything.

Plus if you don't like the 3k stall you can get it re-stalled for free.

Buy right the first time. The converter is no place to cheap out.
              97 Mustang V6 Auto<br />PI 3000 Converter-Aluminum DS-4.10\'s-FMS T-lok-ASP UD Pulley-Flowmaster Duals-BBK 65mm TB-Stage 3 Upper and Lower Intakes-24lb Injectors-155lph fuel pump-Custom Dyno Tune-NX 75-100 shot<p>Best times: 15.1@87mph on motor<br />13.42@98 on nitrous

Comment

you have a 3K stall and only run 15's hahahaha sorry had too

nothing like a GM stock stall [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

ok...my question is... how will a 3k stall converter affect my daily drivability? Still a lockup? Whats the stock stall? If it stalls at 3k..does that mean that my car wont begin to move untill i hit 3k rpms? I hardly ever go to the track and car is a daily driver. Just want somethin to improve times when i do go. All ive had before is a stick..so im kinda new to all this. THanks

Brandon
                  <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/y87inside\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/y87inside</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X