How to beef up a 5 speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to beef up a 5 speed?

I have just ordered the SSM Heads, intake, and a comp cam. After the install I will be running a 100 shot of Nitrous Express wet. I would think this will make a great deal of power which is good. But How much can the 5 speed manual tranny take? How do I go about making it stronger?

TTT, please help.

Comment

The standard T5 should be able to hold up to almost 400HP. Now, if your looking for something better or that feels better.... no clue. I know the the T5's are notorious for having issues with gear teeth being chewed up from bad shifts. No way around that one.... go figure. Beyond that... try and find a way to get a T56 in your car :D

Steve
      FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
      Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
      Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

I do not know abouit the T5 handling 400HP. Every notice you cannot buy a 3rd gen with a 350 and a 5-speed, they are all autos? they cannot handle serious amounts of power, biggest motor the 5-speed was put on to my knowledge was the 305. even 80s vetttes had the 3+4 transmission. I know people have beefed them up but for the numbers I think you are looking for I heard there is a richmond 6-speed that will fit our cars, (aftermaket) and actually I am going to start looking around for the possiblity of a 6-speed swap.

Comment

I am very interested in the 6 speed swap, that sounds awsome. Any other information on it?

Comment

if i can find the link on it ill post it...
            it was posted on the forum a while back, i believe its a borg warner unit, let me go try and find it i do remember it costs like $2300 ! :eek:
            R.I.P \'99 Firebird, you will be missed<p>New toy - 2001 GSXR-750, Yoshimura Exhaust, Power Commander, Rebuilt Airbox

Comment

A TKO 5-speed is WAY stronger than the t-5
              http://www.fortesparts.com/tremec/index.html
              (they also have stuff on the t56 there)
              Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

TKO sounds good. Does it fit my car? And the T-56, does that fit my car?

Comment

A TKO should bolt in(but im not 100% sure [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img] ) Whit a lot of fabrication a t56 mighnt work,but you got to check input spline, tooth count,flywheel ,clutch etc.
                  Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X