why not 4.10's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why not 4.10's

ive heard if we ever wanted to hang with an 8 4.10's are the way to go, can anyone hang with a 8 in 3.73's???, why dont yall recomend this for the 3.4's i just hear people hating on the 4.10's rumors not cold hard facts, and dont lock this, because yes i did a search. just wanted to know if people hang with 8's such as GT's and z28's with 3.73's or 4.10's
    Camaro 95 3.4L M5<br />Flowmaster 80srs<br />Catco High Flo Cat<br />Slp CAI<br />Prime wheels

I had them for 3000-4000 miles.
    Brutal off the line through 1st and 2nd gear and then the bird fell on its face.
    Speed limiter was moved from stock 118 to 85 due to speedo being off
    I could not beat anyone on the highway.
    Bone stock old honda smoked me on the highway
    I hit the speed limiter at the track
    I could hold my own (pull 1-2 car lengths) on an lt1 off the line, 2nd gear he would catch up and then i was murdered
    It is not worth it.
    Been there, done that.
    Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
    2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
    2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

that's all you need right there bro....don't forget gas mileage too. Not that any of us care anyways :D

Comment

I suggest doing some math. get a book that gives you the equations to figure out x rpm at y speed. If i were to put bigger rear gears on my car, I'd get the biggest tires i could find. later on in my build-up, i'm gonna put ZO6 vette rims on w/ 18x10.5 rears w/ 295-45-ZR18 meats on. the stock 235-55-16 tires are 82.237990369 in. in circumference. the new tires would be 89.3869689271 in. in diameter. This will help me keep reasonable highway rpm's but give me good 60' times as well with 3.73 rear gears. Just have fun w/ this stuff.
        2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

Patrick.... no offense... but who are you?

If you put that big of a tire on you'll just cancel out the gear completely.

4.10's in a V6 would be VERY cool. It would pull VERY hard, you would just top the car out a lot faster. I have 3.73's and am VERY happy with them. Car still pulls on the highway as well also.

I've ridden in a 3.8 with 4.10's and it feels AS fast as mine. The car hauls *** .

Patrick, I think you need to tone your "extreme" attitude down a little bit and really think about things.

On a 18" wheel you wouldn't be able to hook it with a hoosier slick. You NEED some sidewall.
          Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

at the track i can hang with 8s with my 3.42s. only for 1/4 mile though.
            magnus, i am seriously debating 3.73s would these be benificial for me? i have read every post on here but am worried about hurting my car due to the fact that i drive 60 miles to work. i dont care about gas mileage, and if i got them i would adjust the speedo at the same time.
            should i make this investment?
            6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

Nino, I would run a 3.42 or even a 3.23 due to the mileage to/from work...

To make up the difference, do the cam, heads and intake.

Keith, you are right, as a weekend warrior 4.10 (3.73 min.) would be cool if you can get past the rev and speedometer limiter...

As a daily driver, the gas may be a bit costly...

dave

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nino:
                at the track i can hang with 8s with my 3.42s. only for 1/4 mile though.
                magnus, i am seriously debating 3.73s would these be benificial for me? i have read every post on here but am worried about hurting my car due to the fact that i drive 60 miles to work. i dont care about gas mileage, and if i got them i would adjust the speedo at the same time.
                should i make this investment?
                <hr></blockquote>

Only for 1/4? Are you drag racing on 1/2 mile tracks then?

Comment

at the track, if i finish 14.4 and a stock Z finishes at 14.4 i considered myself hanging with him for the 1/4. if the track was any longer he would obviously start to pull me cause he is going 100 mph and i am only going 94. so i say i can hang with 8s for a 1/4 mile.
                  dave, i already have heads,cam,intake. funny how popular the power pack is but yet no one knows who has it.

Comment

Well you said "only". So I was wondering.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I suggest doing some math... I'd get the biggest tires i could find. later on in my build-up, i'm gonna put ZO6 vette rims on w/ 18x10.5 rears w/ 295-45-ZR18 meats on. the stock 235-55-16 tires are 82.237990369 in. in circumference. the new tires would be 89.3869689271 in.... <hr></blockquote>

Dude I hope you don't plan on turning with that tire size on the front of your car. You'll tear your fender off. 275/40 is the biggest, its known fact. But you'll need that size to support all 900HP on street gas.
                      1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                      1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

i may be wrong...but patrick seems sorta like mr. bradley palmer....i MAY be wrong

anyway....i chose 3.42s b/c i will need to mantain my daily driver status. I drive my car all year round. No winter here in South FLorida.

Comment

the bigger tires won't cancel it out completely. it'll probably be like puting 3.73's in while keeping the stock tires. you'll need the bigger contact patch anyways to hook up better(if you don't have lsd, get it when you put the gears in). getting dot drag slicks w/ tread won't help in cornering at all. plus, the 18's look better and are readily available. the 295-45-ZR18 nitto 555 tires are plenty wide enough for drag strip use while not puting undue stress on the rear end, and they are just under a foot wide. these are only for the rear tires. the fronts would be either 275-40, or 285-35.
                          2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

i wonder if magnus will ever tell me if he thinks 3.73s would be a worthwhile investment for me even though i drive 60 miles to work once a week. i can see myself going 65 on the freeway cause of my gears. small little sacrifice ;)

Comment

email him and he gets back to real quick thanks for all the help you have given me magnus
                              <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X