LSD/Gears ??? before install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSD/Gears ??? before install

I've done a bunch of searchs and am confused.

I have a 1996 A4 with the 3.08 gears. I'm getting tired of the sluggish acceleration so I'm planning on getting some GM motive 3.42 gears. I've also found a shop that has quoted about $175 and I've heard they do very good work.

Just wondering what carrier I have...the gears I was planning on getting off of thunderracing...description is...

3.42 Gear Ratio, 3 series carrier, GM 7.5" 10 bolt rear end

Is that right? And will the SLP take off work as well...thanks guys.

If you have 3.08 gears, I believe you have a 2 series carrier. I think the 3 series carrier only came with 3.23+ gears. Someone would probably know better than me, though...
    1997 Y87 Camaro with a motor and some stuff.

Comment

Correct. Along with the gears, you'll need to get the differential from SLP.

Matt
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

You will also need the 3 series carrier ABS reluctor ring. You can get it from the dealer or gmpartsdirect.com.
        -Brad
        98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
        2000 V-Star Custom 1100
        If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
        :rock:

Comment

Okay...so my checklist is

1) gears
          2) new LSD
          3) ABS reluctor ring

anything else?

Any complaints with the SLP take-off?

Comment

You will also need some misc. parts like shims and maybe new bearings. If it is a 96 then I would goahead and buy a gear install kit that will come with new bearings, shims, and a new gasket for the rear. Gm charges like $250 for them, but you can find the kits for around 150 on the net.

I have a 99 and had LSD and 3.42s put in last year. The shop I took it to wouldnt put the old bearings back in and didnt tell me, so they screwed me on the price of the install kit.

~Brian
            NEW 2002 Onyx Black SS Camaro<br />M6, leather, T-tops, Hurst shifter<p>sold: 1999 Pewter V6 A4 Camaro

Comment

Take it to a speed shop that is known for gear installs. Don't just drop it off at any car shop. Let them buy the misc parts they need. Shims are few bucks. No reason to buy a $100 install kit.

Comment

Okay...I just have two more questions hopefully someone can answer for me. I don't want to look too clueless going in...

1) Carrier...what is this? If I need a new one, how much are they?

2) The LSD...I was planning on going with the SLP take-off...can I trust these or not? I think they're only $100, I don't know how much a new one would be.

Thanks guys...I found a good shop with a good history already.

Comment

i just saved myself the trouble and ordered the whole gear package from SLP

it comes with the following:

- Gears (I got 3.42s)
                  - LSD/Zexel Torsen Differential
                  - Speedometer Recalibrator
                  - Installation Kit
                  - Rear End Cover w/ drain plug

Should arrive within the next week or so (I hope)

If you have the $$ I say save yourself all the trouble and order the whole package like I did, SLP will tell you EXACTLY what you need for YOUR car. Call em' up!

Comment

Ok.
                    You can pick which one you want. An LSD or a carrier. I would personally go with the SLP take-off LSD because it's cheaper and I think everyone would rather have an LSD. This is what I did.

1. 3.42 gears used from the for sale forums for $50 (camarov6, camaroz28, ls1, ls1tech).
                    2. SLP Take-off LSD for $99
                    3. SLP ABS Reluctor wheel for $20.

So you can get the LSD and reluctor wheel for SLP. I got all the other parts I needed from the shop. Good luck and have fun with your new mod. Email me if you got any questions.
                    Whisper Lid, SLP CAI, KN Filter, 3\" HiFlo Carsound Cat, full 3\" mandrel-bent piping, Flowmaster 80s, Casper O2 Sim, BM Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 3300 Torque Converter, Corvette Servo, 3.42 gears, SLP take-off LSD, Manual Fan Switch, & 160 Thermostat.

Comment

I think I'm going to just get new gears...probably the GM motive.

The description is:
                      3.42 Gear Ratio, 3 series carrier, GM 7.5" 10 bolt rear end

These will work with the SLP take-off LSD or not?

Thank you so much guys, you've been very helpful! Can't wait to get it done! :D

Comment

Hey black97 I found this thread on a search and I was wondering how much that setup from SLP cost you, and how did the install go?

I'm thinking of doing the same thing......got any advice?
                        <b>94 Firebird, 3.4 V6, Red, M5</b><br /> SLP CAI, Accel 8mm Superstock Wires, Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs, Borla Exhaust, BMR Strut Tower Brace, 180* Thermostat, B&M Ripper Shifter<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/94bird\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/94bird</a>

Comment

Does the install kit come with the ABS reluctor wheel? I'm just curious. I don't need it since I already have my LSD installed but for future reference it would be nice to know. If you could email me and let me know it would be great. Thanks.
                          1994 Camaro<br />3.4L V6 Automatic<br />K&N FIPK&Gold Oil Filter,Ravin Performance Exhaustw/Dynomax MandrelBent3\"I-Pipe&S Pipe&Catco 3\" HiFlow Cat.,ASP Crank and High AMP Alternator,U.D. Pulley Set, Bosch Spark Plugs and Oxygen Sensors, Taylor Wires, B&M E.ShiftPlus, 160 thermostat,Zexel Torsen L.S.D., CSI Remote Mount Electric Water Pump & Temp. Controller & Flex Hoses, ALM. Drivshaft, Diamond SubFram Conn.<br />COMING SOON: 350 or 502 RAMJET ENGINE & Big Block Hood<br />NJ V6 F-Body Club<br /><a href=\"http://tristategm.com/NJFbV6/\" target=\"_blank\">http://tristategm.com/NJFbV6/</a><br />Street Lethal F-Body Association <br /><a href=\"http://www.slfba.com./index.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.slfba.com./index.html</a>

Comment

I just bought this item

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ndexURL=0&rd=1

I have a '94 Firebird with 3.73's(originally 3.23's). Does it mean I can't use my 3.73's on the new unit? What can I do to make the 3.73's or 3.23's fit?
                            \'94 Firebird \"El Pichon\" 3.4L A4<br />Mods: CAI,NO CAT,NO EGR,<br />NO PCV,TB BYPASS,SLP IAT module,<br />Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler 2.5\" Dual,low temp stat, fan swtich<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/lando_pr\" target=\"_blank\">35 years of Firebird</a>

Comment

If that Auburn posi is a 2 series carrier, then you can't put 3.73s on it. The highest ratio you can use is 3.08. Since 2.73s were installed on it as it says on the page, then it is a 2 series carrier. You should have asked questions before you bought it.

Plus 41K miles on an Auburn is towards the end of it's existance. The clutches are probably worn out.

[ April 24, 2002: Message edited by: Dom ]</p>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                4 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X