Tranny cooler mounting with SLP CAI... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tranny cooler mounting with SLP CAI...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny cooler mounting with SLP CAI...

I'm looking to buy a torque converter sometime in the future, but first, I need to install a tranny cooler. The problem is that I have the SLP CAI for 98+ cars that covers the condenser. Where else/ how else can I install the cooler?

Also, someone told me that stalling the stock converter will burn the clutches in my transmission, and that the cooler wouldn't help prevent it. I usually stall my stock converter to 2000 rpm's, and I have stalled it to 2500 rpm's on one occasion. Will this damage my tranny like he said, and would the cooler prevent the damage?
    01 Firebird GT <p>3.42 gears, LSD, holley powershot, SLP CAI, whisper lid, 3\" I-pipe, and spintech muffler<p>best 1/8th run: 9.5872 @ 72.48mph with 2.160 60ft<br />best 1/4th run: 15.099 @ 89.15mph with 2.198 60ft<p>Venom VI member #21<p>See my car here:<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/southernoxblood/front.html\" target=\"_blank\">www.geocities.com/southernoxblood/front.html</a>

Tranny cooler installs right on the front of the radiator.

Why would you want to stall a high stall converter? The whole idea is to flash stall it off the line.

Comment

How can the cooler mount on the radiator when the condenser and CAI are in the way? Also, I'm stalling my STOCK converter, I do not have a high stall converter yet, but should I not do that either? How do you flash the converter? It seems to me that when you flash to the converter, all you are doing is stalling it to a lower rpm... Please explain, I am very confused now. :(
      01 Firebird GT <p>3.42 gears, LSD, holley powershot, SLP CAI, whisper lid, 3\" I-pipe, and spintech muffler<p>best 1/8th run: 9.5872 @ 72.48mph with 2.160 60ft<br />best 1/4th run: 15.099 @ 89.15mph with 2.198 60ft<p>Venom VI member #21<p>See my car here:<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/southernoxblood/front.html\" target=\"_blank\">www.geocities.com/southernoxblood/front.html</a>

Comment

Lower front passanger side of the radiator. That's where you piggy back it. How is your SLP in the way? Just go WOT as green hits. That's your flash stall.

Comment

You know what the SLP CAI ('98-'02) looks like right? I have the big metal air-dam kind that sits in front of the radiator and condenser, not the tube kind that is on older model fbodies. I think I found away around it though. I have seen some coolers that are long and skinny instead of rectangular, so those might work... I need to try flashing the converter again. I've done it before, but I lost traction really bad and decided it was better to stall. Thanks for all the help Dom! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You said CAI, not ram air induction. Not the same. SLP ram air is a rip off from the Fast Toys ram air. People usually have cooling problems if they install both ram air and tranny cooler. Too much radiator is covered up.

Comment

The ram-air type is the only CAI made for my car. It does not just ram air though, it relocates the intake, making all of the air come from below the car, where it is cooler.

Do you know anywhere else I can install the tranny cooler? There are some coolers that have fans mounted to them, but that would require a little more work... If all else fails, I could just ditch the SLP; I didn't really notice much of a gain from it anyway, and I know the gains from a converter are a lot higher. What do you think?

Comment

No you are wrong. There are JUST lids for your car. Whisper, MTI, Direct Flo all make them. That's why when you DIDNT specify ram air I assumed lid.

So why don't you just buy a lid like everyone else and problem solved. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: Dom ]</p>

Comment

NO, YOU ARE WRONG!!! :D (heh heh...)

Anyways, I have the whisper lid and a holley powershot filter, so do you think I should just ditch the SLP?

Comment

I will show u some pics of where my friend mounted his on his 2000 camaro i like it will give you the link later need sleep now
                    <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

I see what oxbld is saying. The companies that sells the SLP ram air refers to it as the SLP CAI for the 98+ models for some odd reason. It's confusing.
                      <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

do it "Dope" style..i might can take some pictures of mine tomorrow when i wash the car..BTW search over at LS1.com or Cz28.com and you should be able to find the "dope" way..it works IMO and you can feel a difference in the temp when it enters the cooler and when it exits

Jeff W

tell me if your interested in pics

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X