Conclusion to my Clutch hell week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conclusion to my Clutch hell week.

OK, I think i know every damn componet in and out with your clutches now.. And what hell ive been having, all for a really crappy reason.

After a total of prolly 9-11hrs (and counting) of having my car on the life, the tranny taken out, put in, and taken out, and put back in..

At first, the first time seemed seamless, nothing went wrong (or did it?). Well after finding my clutch pedal to be all "play" and 1 inch of clutch, something was up.. first suggestion by the garage, replace master/slave assembley, a day later, part arrives. unsucessful the owner told me.. F**K! i mean i was pissed and totally out of ideas. So they thought we had a defective clutch, so i was on the phone about twelve times with centerforce describing all the crap that was going on. not much help, so i got my return id number, getting ready to take the clutch back out and ship it away.. meanwhile, the clutch, new and old sitting side by side on the table, and the tranny aswhell. the mechanic quickly hadda help his boss do something, so i was just sitting there playing with my tranny, puttin the fork in and out, same with the TOB.. well to make a long strong short, I noticed that the pivot ball on the tranny that allows the fork to pivot correctly had a bent pivot clip(spring thing), and it wasnt holding the pivot ball in the forks pivot cup, yeah, guess that created more then it sound like. So what was happening was one of two things (or both). The fork wasnt even correctly pivoting on the tranny's pivot ball, which means the pivot ball was not in the forks clutch.. (im trying my best to describe this, even if im not using the correct terms.) so we took some pliers and bent the pivot spring on the fork back in a little, and snaped the fork and TOB back in, right away we noticed that there wasnt as much "jiggeling" goin on. So it was up to me, take a nother 1.5hours ot so to just "Test" and see if my thoery was right.. and thats how they even said it.. "its up to you" obviously they doubted me.

well we put it back in, little more trouble gettin the shaft of the tranny to fit up with the pilot bearing. but nonetheless, it went in, bolted up.. and the moment of truth, is the clutch gunna be there when i tap my pedal.

so he started by using his hand, pushed it down, walked out, said "theres your answer." and he didnt smile or frown, so i didnt know if my answer was good or bad.. :( well so i sat in it, and soon as i pushed the pedal down 1 inch, the clutch was there... alot softer then the stock on, but thats prolly cuz my stock one was old, and the diaphrams were rusted a little..

never thought a clutch story could be soo dramatic eh?

hehe
    thanks for listenin
    dave
    03 Subaru WRB WRX<br />Clear parking lights<br />Autometer Phantom Boost guage

Forgot to add, my car is still ther eon their lift, cause it was gettin to late to completly reinstall everything and the DS.. but im pretty sure everything all set, cuz before, i had no clutch accept the last inch of the pedal, before it hit the floor, now i have 1 inch of play, and a nice soft push to the floor. (sure the new slave/master assembley helped with that.)

dave

Comment

dumpin cuz i tink this could be useful for anyone doin a clutch install.. BECAREFUL! [img]smile.gif[/img] also, it deserves to get red, took me a while to type [img]smile.gif[/img]

dave

Comment

thanks for the info...now i know what to try and break if my clutch does the same thing!
        also, a local mechanic advised me not to go with a centerforce....he said he put 3 or 4 of them on LS1 cars and they were gone in a month, said they get off balance real easily and wear one side of the disk before the other so it wears down
        R.I.P \'99 Firebird, you will be missed<p>New toy - 2001 GSXR-750, Yoshimura Exhaust, Power Commander, Rebuilt Airbox

Comment

Well that is determined if you break it in correctly, aka, dont go above 3.5k rpms within the first 400 miles..

also, mines in and workin AWESOME... i mean, i dont even have to try and i can get a 2ndgear chrip from the tires.. and thats basicly just normal shifting at 4krpms.. never felt something grab so hard.. better get a neck brace...

all and all, yea, i had a rought time.. but ive never heard of a centerforce wearing faster, unless the install was not done properly, the only way a disc can wear uneven is if there is a gap between it and the flywheel, so make sure everything is tight and torqued correctly.

this clutch is everything its made up to be, im really impressed with it.. makes the car seem like a new car.... i bet i could easliy chrip 3rd gear if i tryed, but i wont bother until the breakin period is over..

dave

Comment

thats cool
            anyone have any experiences with SPEC clutches?
            R.I.P \'99 Firebird, you will be missed<p>New toy - 2001 GSXR-750, Yoshimura Exhaust, Power Commander, Rebuilt Airbox

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X