slipping 1st gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slipping 1st gear

question here. about 2 months after my computer tune deleting torque management and uping line pressure, my tranny is slipping through first gear. it has just enough power to get the car to roll from a stop but power doesnt increase as the rpms shoot up to 4000 rpms and it finally shifts to second. (and im not standing on the gas either, just normal throttle for everyday driving) seems to be fine once I make it into second and up. when I engage the second gear start, i actually have more power than first gear now.

not sure if this is related to the tune being harsh on the tranny, or just the milage on the car.

what do you guys think I am looking at here. A burnt up 1-2 servo? something more? time for a new tranny? dont know enough about autos to know what I should do first. any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
    \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

moving to the DT forum.....
    White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

I'm not sure about your tranny slippage... perhaps not enough line preasure???... but I CAN tell you that you're doing MORE damage to your car by always using the SGS feature... It was only meant for emergancies, not everyday use. Basicly SGS heats up your tranny fluid alot faster because it takes a hellup more effort to start in second gear than first...

I was guessing the Sonnax fix kit would probably solve your problem. Hey, did you ever get the P1870 code or the SES light?
      1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

thanks for the response. I have quite using the SGS. Ive been experiencing more slipping in every gear and problems shifting every gear.
        Im done driving the car until I get a rebuild.

As for line pressure. I have a custom tune from TSP that increased the line pressure and deleted a portion of the torque management. What the pressure is at the moment, I do not know.

I have not thrown a single tranny related code yet, which is kinda confusing to me.

What exactly does the Sonnax fix kit do?

I stopped by a tranny shop on the way home from work yesterday. I tried explaining the problems to an older guy that owns the shop. He took the car for a spin and came back with a big smile on his face. Told me "the car sounds good, but you've got problems." Then quoted me $1300 for a rebuild.
        \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          5 days ago
        • ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          3 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X