buy one w/ Y87 pkg. or have lsd installed? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buy one w/ Y87 pkg. or have lsd installed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buy one w/ Y87 pkg. or have lsd installed?

My question is should I just buy a car w/ the Y87 pkg already on it or have the slp takeoff limited slip installed by someone? I would of course put all the stock $h!t back on my car befor trading it in and put it on the new one. What are your guy's thoughts on this? All responses welcome.
    2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Well the Y-87 package contains more then just a LSD. It also gives 235/55 tires(no biggy seeing as tires will eventually be reaplaced anyways), dual exhaust, a quicker steering ratio(14.4:1), and 4-wheel disc brakes(98+ already have 4 wheel disc brakes).

Hrmm so lets see, assuming you are getting a 98 or newer car, save the money and get a non y-87 car and just add the LSD later. Steering ratio is not that important unless you really feel the need for it.

[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: vtv6firebird ]</p>
    Jared W. Drummond<br />jdrummon@vt.edu<br />1997 3.8 Firebird M5<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler* *SLP Cold Air Intake* *Zexel-Torsen LSD* *1-Piece DS* *Eibach Pro-Kit* *Removed MAF Screen* *Manual Fan Switch* *Mobil 1 Oils*<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Pioneer Premier DEH-920R Headunit* *Orion Cobalt 6 1/2\'s* *Sub Stealth Box w/ Alpine SWR-1021D* *Kenwood 728S Amp for Sub*

Comment

How much is the Y87 option? I will say that you'll replace the dual-outlet exhaust anyway. I saw a 2000 Y87 just yesterday, and the exhaust sounded crappier than my old generic aftermaket exhaust.

[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: AMinor65 ]</p>
      <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

I say get the y87...

why? Well, you get a lot more than just the rearend, and the computer is programmed for those gears [img]smile.gif[/img]

In the end, its simply going to be a lot easier to get the y87 car.
        2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

my car already has 235-55-r16 tires, 3.42 rear gear stock, and is programmed from the factory. So i'd get the lsd, dual outlet exhaust, quicker steering ratio, and the wider tires. whith what I got now, should I upgrade or not?
          2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

The exhaust does sound crappy like AMinor65 said. And all you dont have then is just the LSD, you can get the LSD for 100 bux, no reason at all to upgrade man, it aint worth it.

But I guess two no votes from me still only counts as one. I just tryin to save you some money man.
            Jared W. Drummond<br />jdrummon@vt.edu<br />1997 3.8 Firebird M5<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler* *SLP Cold Air Intake* *Zexel-Torsen LSD* *1-Piece DS* *Eibach Pro-Kit* *Removed MAF Screen* *Manual Fan Switch* *Mobil 1 Oils*<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Pioneer Premier DEH-920R Headunit* *Orion Cobalt 6 1/2\'s* *Sub Stealth Box w/ Alpine SWR-1021D* *Kenwood 728S Amp for Sub*

Comment

The thing is, What will I need for my Lsd install besides the lsd itself? I know a guy who will put it in for me for $180. I have to have all the parts for it though. Will I need a new gasket or anything else besides oil?

Comment

If my understanding is correct and the dealership wasn't lying to me, then along with the y87 package there is no speed limiter on the v6 cars. The dealer said this is becuase of the speed rating on the tires?
                2000 Firebird M5<br />Ghetto lid<br />Lost the air silencer, told the wife \"Gee honey, must of fallen off somewhere\"<br />K&N filter<br />Dynomax cat back<br />Tinted windows<p>In stock but not installed yet:<br />SLP ram air hood<br />RK Sport headers<p>\"You want how much for that . .?\"

Comment

Well the speed limiter will be set to whatever the speed rating of the tires were when the car left the factory. I dont know the answer for this on a Y87 car. But i would still guess it is 118 just like all the others, but i could be wrong.

I installed my LSD myself. I won't lie, it is quite difficult, but i finished in three hours. I just bought a new gasket and 2 bottles of gear oil. So that only added a couple of bux to the cost. 180 seems too high to install a LSD, check around at some other auto shops.

Comment

the guy said he was high. I asked for a liberal estimate. I don't like getting charged more than I expect to.

Comment

Y87s are speed limited at 119. :( Tires only rated up to 125.

HOWEVER, I did figure out a way to trick the computer. Once you get to 105/110mph put the shifter into D (3...the non-overdrive) and the car will accelerate all the way to about 125...almost redline. Then the car after a few seconds realizes oh $hit I passed revlimiter and it backs down to 115 and crawls up to 119 and holds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X