Second gear getting goofy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second gear getting goofy

about every third or fourth time i shift into second i get like a resistance; kind of like it's got to lock in in two places and not just the usual one. it's hard to explain. you get resistance, then it slips into the gear. it's just started doing this a few weeks ago.

Have fun sorry my did this and now if manually shift (i have an auto) You can feel it binding in the tranny and it littarly stops the car. Check you valve body, maybe you'll get lucky if nto save money and tranny shop here you come
    My new ride 2000 camaro, No mods yet still waiting for warranty to run out then all out heads, cam, and supercharger

Comment

I have that now but we all know my tranny is on it's last legs
      Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
      nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
      2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
      2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

have you ever put it in gear and then it pops back out? (it's manual by the way) if you don't put it in all the way it will pop out, but it only happens about every 3rd or 4th time i shift into second.

Comment

Nah sorry mine's an auto still pretty weird though i can manually put it in 1'st and it stops the car almost like an e brake
          My new ride 2000 camaro, No mods yet still waiting for warranty to run out then all out heads, cam, and supercharger

Comment

ive had mine jump out of gear, but my tranny chews thru syncros like i go through 7-UP and Chinese food so.....
            R.I.P \'99 Firebird, you will be missed<p>New toy - 2001 GSXR-750, Yoshimura Exhaust, Power Commander, Rebuilt Airbox

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> 2003 Camaro TypeR<hr></blockquote>

explain this one to me...
              2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

mine will pop outa second every now and then. think this comes from all the power shifting and 85K miles. i beat the s hit outa the tranny. noone sells a rebuild kit however so i'm trying to figure out my next step and i'll let you know. there are a bunch of places that sell all the parts seperately such as dealerships or ford tranny places since all the stangs use t5's......course there's also that t56 sitting in my garage...hhhmmmm....
                i was swimming in the carribean. animals were hiding behind the rocks except for the little fish, but they told me the squid\'s trying to talk to me. oink, oink. where is my mind?

Comment

ok, the second gear problem went away, but a 5th gear problem started. now when i shift into 5th, i have to push it up and i get a serious resistance, then i back off and then push it up into gear. i'm thinking the synchronizer is going bad. should this be doing it at 45,000 miles? i'm not seriously abusive on the tranny. is there a GM powertrain warranty to cover this? how much will it cost me to get this thing fixed? thanks guys.

:(

Comment

I had the same problem with going into 2nd a while back. Sometimes i just had to skip it and go to 3rd because i couldnt get it in, and there were ppl behind me. It did that for about 3 days then went away. Been fine since. My car had 2k miles when it did that. It was also after i tought my G/f how to drive a stick. :rolleyes:

On a side note, if your already rolling backwards, and shift into reverse while moving, does your gears grind?
                    2002 Black FireBird M5 2-5-02<br />Red BMR strut bar<br />Dynomax Super Turbo muffler with FastToys.com tips.<br />4 Coats of Zaino - Better every time<p>Need to post pictures? Do it <a href=\"http://www.thenebula.com/carpics/\" target=\"_blank\">here</a>. its <b>easy</b> and <b>free</b>.<br />Change your own oil. <a href=\"http://www.thenebula.com/firebird/oil/\" target=\"_blank\">click here</a>.

Comment

rolling back and not putting it in one of the forward gears first will still cause it to grind
                      i was swimming in the carribean. animals were hiding behind the rocks except for the little fish, but they told me the squid\'s trying to talk to me. oink, oink. where is my mind?

Comment

I have the same problem. Every 3rd or 4th time, it will pop out of 2nd and I have to do it again. Sometimes my 5th gear gives my soem grief, but not that bad. I don't know why it pops out of 2nd, but I would like to know. Wish I could help ya out.
                        <b>99\' Black Camaro SS</b> <br />M6/T-Tops - SLPLid w/K&N | Hurst Billet Plus w/ LSS | EGR Mod<p>Black 97\' Camaro T-Tops (RIP)

Comment

I beat the **** outta my tranny... am at 47k and no problems.. the only time I had a problem with the shifter popping out gear was when I replaced my tranny mount and it lowered my transmission causing the shifter to hit the console... this gave me a reason to buy a hurst billet plus and all is well again..
                          realize this helps very little but I everyone here seems to have experienced problems..

oah.. forgot to add.. that resistence thing sounds just like a syncro going out.. ever tried to shift without the clutch?? if you do it wrong that's exactly what it is like..

[ July 12, 2002: Message edited by: black98V6 ]</p>
                          -Brad
                          98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                          2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                          If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                          :rock:

Comment

i get that too.. i have a 96 with manual. but its for 1st gear.. i just wiggle it around and eventually after about 2 seconds it will slide right it..

for some reason this seems like a normal problem with fbody's because a buddy of mine has the same problem and he's got a 96 bird. 5spd
                            96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X