very dumb - how to tell if clutch is going bad - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

very dumb - how to tell if clutch is going bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very dumb - how to tell if clutch is going bad

this is going to seem really dumb, but my other 2 fbodys were autos and ive never had a manual car but now. when i got the car i thought the clutch was ok, and my dad (who was a car dealership manager for over 30 years) said it was O.K too but when i took it to the shop i used to work for one of the managers said i was going to need a new clutch soon. i didnt abuse it or stall since ive had it, and i only had it for 2 days when it was in the shop (it went for an oil change). also, the shop does NOT do clutches so they didnt just want money. thanks
    1991 firebird - sold<br />1994 camaro v6 - lady ran red light<br /> *totaled*<br />1996 Camaro v6 RS sport package 5 spd - 8mm wires/ platinum plugs, z28 clutch@assembly, powerslot rottors, hiPo brake pads, hiPo power steering pump, larger tie rods and hubs, 1le tranny mounts

Anyone!?!?!!?!?!??! :mad:
    1991 firebird - sold<br />1994 camaro v6 - lady ran red light<br /> *totaled*<br />1996 Camaro v6 RS sport package 5 spd - 8mm wires/ platinum plugs, z28 clutch@assembly, powerslot rottors, hiPo brake pads, hiPo power steering pump, larger tie rods and hubs, 1le tranny mounts

Comment

The only idea I have to tell, is if you are having trouble putting it into gear.

Comment

also the clutch will start slipping really bad. I had an eclipse once that clutch went bad on it. I could bArely get the car moving. I was told that clutch was FRIED.

Comment

easy way to tell is either, can't put it into gear, or its slipping, I remember my old clutch on the hwy I used to sit at 3k at 80mph with the new clutch 2500rpms at 80 mph, where it should be.

Comment

Well for me, I'd get on it on a freeway and when I'd switch from 3rd to 4th you couldn't feel any kind of jolt from switching and the RPMs would kind of drag for a few seconds even though the clutch was fully released. Another way to tell is to pull your E brake with the car at idle (parked of course! ;) ) and slowly depress the clutch in 5th. Your friction point *where the clutch begins to grip* should be up top and not down low in the peddle. Mine was so bad the clutch repair man was able to depress my peddle all the way without killing the engine!

You're going to want the works... throwout bearing, resurfaced flywheel, clutch, springs, etc etc. Call around for the best price... I had some shops that wanted over $500 and in the end I paid around $350 for EVERYTHING plus a 5 year warrenty. This is a nasty portion of the automotive industry... you really need to do your homework before you drop your car off and write a check.
            1994 Camaro 3.4L M5 R.I.P.<br />You know what they say- a small engine means big... errr... e/t\'s<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident\" target=\"_blank\">www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident</a><p>replaced with: red 97 A4 vert (my brothers as soon as i find my REAL replacement)<p>soon to come: 1969 RS/SS<p>\"All you need are the esentials: scented candles, massage oil, and Berry White write that down.\" -Van Wilder

Comment

yeah, used to have a hell of a time putting it in first or reverse, as soon as i got a new clutch, I had no problems with it. also jsut before I took it in, if I gave my car anymore then half throttle it reved up toe the redline with the ca in gear.

Comment

i dont really have any slipping problems, at 5th going 75 its about 2200 rpms (from what i remember, maybe lower) but sometimes its a little tuff to get in first, i can do it, just takes a tiny bit of muscle sometimes, which i always assumed was normal. only thing that struck me as strange was that the car HAD to be in first with the clutch in and completly stoped to put it in reverse or it would grind, like if i put it in nuetral, poped the clutch, put it back in and put it in reverse it would grind, it has to go directly from first to reverse. dunno if thats strange or what. other than that it seems fine

Comment

thats not the clutch thats the tranny a lot of us with the T-5 have that problem
                  1998 Arctic White 3800 V6 :mods: Whisper lid with K&N, SLP Cold Air induction kit, 50hp shot of NOS, KVR Front Brake Rotor blanks and KVR Carbon Fibre Metallic Pads (set of 4), BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR Control Arm Relocation Brackets, BMR Control Arms, BMR Sway Bars, B&M ripper shifter, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, H&R lowering springs, and Flowmaster exhaust: MORE MODS AND WEBPAGE SOON!!!

Comment

Yeah, infact a lot of cars period grind into reverse. A simple remedie is to put it into another gear first, and while the clutch is still pushed in, put it into reverse. Dont know exactly why this works, but it get rid of that awful grinding soung going into reverse. (all this is while stopped ofcourse.)

Comment

if the clutch is worn out you will get slippage... if the only problem you are having is that you have to put it into a gear before going to reverse then I HIGHLY doubt you need a new clutch unless this person at this shop is noticing something that you are not.. if the clutch is starting to go you won't have trouble putting it into gear.. now if you are having trouble getting the car into gear it is proably more of a problem with the hydraulics than the clutch itself..

btw as far as the thing about having to go into another gear before reverse.. that's normal.. my car does it, my blazer did it... my dad's isuzu did it.. an old 3/4 ton work truck I had to drive for one summer did it.. so yes it's normal.. I've driven an 18 wheeler and had to do it in that too..
                      oah.. and it's not a dumb question dude.. all part of the process of learning about cars..

[ June 22, 2002: Message edited by: black98V6 ]</p>
                      -Brad
                      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                      :rock:

Comment

aite guys, thanks for the help, i really do appreciate it. i guess my clutch is fine then [img]tongue.gif[/img] nah this guy was a dick, no one liked him, he liked no one, so he was prolly just trying to be a dick. [img]smile.gif[/img] now if someone could only answer my Q about my gfx in the apperance forum [img]tongue.gif[/img] heh

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                          New Owner!
                          by LETZRIDE
                          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                          2 days ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Little work today
                          by ssms5411
                          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • LETZRIDE
                          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X