launch with stall converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• launch with stall converter

I just installed a 10" stall converter on my car. When I floor the accelerator, the wheels spin, but the car doesn't budge for 5 or 6 seconds. When I launch part throttle ... it's a hard run from behind. Has anyone dealt with this problem before?

1996 Firebird, 3.8l, 4l60e, H-rated tires, 206,000 miles
    You can achieve anything for which you are prepared to pay the price.<br /> --ATTILA THE HUN

hahahaa, welcome to the wonderful world of a torque converter!!!!!!

how high is the stall?
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

Don't know the advertised stall ... but feels like static stall around 2800-3000.
      You can achieve anything for which you are prepared to pay the price.<br /> --ATTILA THE HUN

Comment

Give more details, what brand is it etc, i thought all us v6 had 9.5" converters??
        Longtubes, true duals, ram air, caspers tps tec, ls1 26lb injectors, supersix powerpack, heads milled .020, comp cam .507 220/224 114 ls, forged internals and chromeoly pushrods, bored .030 over, tb spacer, tranny built with stiffer springs and kevlar bands, bigger servo, transgo stage 3 shift kit, edge 3600 stall, 1 pc aluminum ds, 3.73 superior gears, lsd rear ,custom pcm tuning, walbro 255 in tank,

Comment

you put a stall converter on a car with 206,000 miles? who convinced you to do that?
          6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

What do you mean by...
            <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by apiccola:
            When I launch part throttle ... it's a hard run from behind. <hr></blockquote>

??? [img]smile.gif[/img]
            1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

What I do on the street is roll into it at a steady pace so right after you shift into second your WOT.

This way you won't kick out the back end on the 1-2 shift and have to let off.
              Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Magnus:
                What I do on the street is roll into it at a steady pace so right after you shift into second your WOT.

This way you won't kick out the back end on the 1-2 shift and have to let off.
                <hr></blockquote>

So Keith, you can still get a kick-a$$ launch on the street, and kick some civic butt... it's just in the technique?

I'm researching stall converters now, and while I want to gain as much on the track as possilbe, my car is still a daily driver, and I want to be able to have some fun on the streets without spinning like a biatch all the time [img]smile.gif[/img]
                1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

Traction is the key on the street..

On asphault where traction sucks.. even on a big tire you'll still only be able to cut a 2.0 where as that stock V6 next to you could do the same.. so all the $$$ you have in your verter'd car does no good.

On concrete however, its a different story.

One thing I OFTEN do wrong is floor it too soon. I get excited and just PUNCH it and spin it into second.

I raced an impala the other night. I believe they have the LS1's.. anyway, he squeeled it, i rolled into it.. then punched it.. spun.. yet still whacked the f'er. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It definately takes some practice to learn the technique for a converter'd car. Also, pick the streets that hook good. I know every single intersection around town that hooks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Keith
                  Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

So you'd advise getting a stall based on racing and 'just learn and deal with it' on the street? ;)

I'm tempted because I hate going into something half way. If i'm going to 'convert' my car...i want maximum results.

Decisions, decisions [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

ya, your converter won't do jack for you on the street unless you learn to drive it then. even then, it's still quite unpredictable to drive and you are definetely not getting NEAR the power that you have. ah, o well...
                      2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Magnus:
                        Traction is the key on the street..

I raced an impala the other night. I believe they have the LS1's.. anyway, he squeeled it, i rolled into it.. then punched it.. spun.. yet still whacked the f'er. [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Keith
                        <hr></blockquote>

The old body style SS Impys has LT1 engines while all of the new ones have fwd 3800's. I don't know what the non SS ones had though. No ls1, that is for sure.
                        Hot Cammed LT1 Sleeper

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 94-3.4:

The old body style SS Impys has LT1 engines while all of the new ones have fwd 3800's. I don't know what the non SS ones had though. No ls1, that is for sure.
                          <hr></blockquote>

the new non SS have fwd 3400, just like non SS montes [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          2001 Monte Carlo SS Pace Car no mods (none planed at the moment, except cosmetics/sterio)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X