Weird Sound from M5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Sound from M5

My transmission shifts nice, and is about to get a new clutch soon, but there is a strange sound when I start it up in the morning and the engine is cold. I push the clutch pedal down, and as I begin to lightly throttle and let the clutch pedal out, there is a strange kinda squeak coming from somewhere under the car. After the car warms up, it goes away. The sound appears only when the engine has been sitting awhile and it's cold. Oh, and it never happenes in the summertime, only when it gets somewhere below 50 degrees outside.
    I checked my DOT3 clutch fluid, and I bleed the system faithfully every year. Could it be the Slave Cylinder? And if it is, where is it and how much is it to replace?

Thanx,
    Marc
    sigpic

IF it is the slave cylinder, its in the bellhousing of the trans, they can replace it when they put the new clutch on. I BELEIVE a new slave cylinder can be bought for $60 or so.

Comment

$60 isn't so bad. I'm gonna do the clutch myself. I guess I should replace the slave cylinder while I'm under there.
      Are they hard to do, and do I need any kind of special tool for the removal/installation?

Marc
      sigpic

Comment

ya make sure and change it I went through 3 of them on my firebird made that exact same noise. They are a ***** to do so make sure it is done correctly the first time.
        2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

Thanx for the help Guys! I'll buy the Slave Cylinder this weekend.

-Marc
          sigpic

Comment

Im not sure about 98+ buyt for my 95 bird, the slave master cylindewrs was a one peice unclosed non-bleedable system....

also the squeak COULD be from your master seal to have a leak, and get oil on your flywheel, which would explain why it goes away after warm up and stuff...
            03 Subaru WRB WRX<br />Clear parking lights<br />Autometer Phantom Boost guage

Comment

If it's a squeek that increases with RPMs it could also be your throw out bearing. But that'll be changed w/ the new clutch.

Comment

The slave cylinter isn't leaking because I never have to replace fluid in the reseviour, unless I bleed the system. And the squeak only happens when I'm starting from a dead stop, and just beginning to let the clutch out. Once the clutch is is fully disengaged and I'm in 1st gear, the sound goes away. Oh, and it only happens during that time. Once the car is moving from 2nd gear and up, I don't hear the sound anymore.
                I'll replace everything when I do the clutch, this way I can do the process of elimination if the sound returns.

Thanx for the help guys!

-Marc
                sigpic

Comment

Mine makes that same noise when I first start it up in the morning when it is cold outside. I start the car, put it in reverse, and as I ease out the clutch pedal and start rolling back out of my driveway it makes a sqeeking noise. Then after that it seems fine. I just attributed it to the cold, and never thought anything was really wrong though.
                  2002 Camaro V6, M5, Black, T-tops, Y87, Monsoon, and Leather!<br />**Current Mods** : Wisper Lid, Hurst Billet Shifter, Free CAI.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X