Driveshaft poll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft poll.

Okay, who's got aftermarket and what did you see 1/4 mile result wise?

If the 1 pc steel from lt1's are only 3 lbs lighter(according to the tech database), is it really going to make a big difference? Aluminum ones are so damn expensive.

What kind of gains have you guys with 1pc steel seen ? Anything noticeable?

thanks!
    1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

How are 1 pc. aluminums expensive?!?! I got mine for 100 bucks.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by StockV6Cam2:
      How are 1 pc. aluminums expensive?!?! I got mine for 100 bucks.<hr></blockquote>

Where at? I want one at that price.

Comment

www.mavness.com/zachds.gif

thats what i have to say about aluminum driveshafts...hahah...it broke on my way to the national corvette museaum while i was doin 110...not pretty..

Comment

I havent seem em for that cheap either, gm parts direct lists them at like 220 bucks.
          1998 Firebird 3.8, A4<br />Mods: Alum Ds, Yank TC 2800 stall, Rksport lid, FTRA, SLP air temp sensor, K&N, Flowmaster catback 2.5\" w/cutout, 3:42 gears w/LSD<br />Best E/T: 15.6 @ 86 mph (w/o gears / lsd or verter)<br />Best 60: 2.234<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamfoxfire.iwarp.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.teamfoxfire.iwarp.com</a> -- club site<p>To come?: l67 piston package hardened, turbo? spray? low 12\'s? well see

Comment

I'll stick w/ carbon fiber for 800 bucks :D
            2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

Mine is from an 87 T/A. I don't have numbers but it's worth it. So far it's my favorite mod except for exhaust. This should be one of the first 3 mods everyone does.
              1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

I got my LS1 DS off ebay for $90 +shipping, hella good deal

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: jonny985 ]</p>
                1996 Silver Camaro, Y87, M5, cammed..<br />N/A Best Time: 14.012 @ 98.59<br />195 rwhp / 233 ft-lbs b/f heads/cam<br />Check out my site <a href=\"http://silver3800.cz28.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://silver3800.cz28.com/</a>

Comment

Doesn't anyone have any numbers? I'm on a limited budget for modding this winter, and I want to get the most bang for my buck [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm already doing the gears, diff and converter... figured while i'm down there...

But only if it's going to be worth it. Otherwise I"ll wait and save up for an alum or carbon fiber driveshaft..

Thanks!
                  1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

It's worth it. The only thing that would be better would be a cam. But you'ld need tuning for that so that would be a lot more.
                    1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

I don't have any numbers yet, I've been trying as hard as I can to get to the track before they close for the winter.

There ain't enough time in the day
                      1996 Silver Camaro, Y87, M5, cammed..<br />N/A Best Time: 14.012 @ 98.59<br />195 rwhp / 233 ft-lbs b/f heads/cam<br />Check out my site <a href=\"http://silver3800.cz28.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://silver3800.cz28.com/</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ravenp:
                        carbon fiber driveshaft..

Thanks!
                        <hr></blockquote>

If its going to be street vehicle you probably don't want a carbon fiber driveshaft. If you would like me to elaborate more as to the reasons I don't think you want one I will.

Comment

Just real quick why you don't want a CF driveshaft on a street vehicle.

I know Nova knows this, he is the CF expert around [img]smile.gif[/img]

Its simply quite brittle. Rock hits it at 80 mph and you could be in for quite the ride.

Now, if you put in the cf driveshaft & then put a sheild over it to protect it from such impacts -- then it might be a pretty good idea.

Unless if you hit a pothole at high speeds, but your screwed anyway then.
                          2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by strobhen:
                            Now, if you put in the cf driveshaft & then put a sheild over it to protect it from such impacts -- then it might be a pretty good idea.

Unless if you hit a pothole at high speeds, but your screwed anyway then.
                            <hr></blockquote>

That would be a good idea. I don't think it would be to terribly hard to fab up something in sheet metal to cover the length of the driveshaft.

Of course you would add back some of the weight you save with the CF driveshaft. It wouldn't be rotational weight but it would still be weight added back.

Comment

I wish that I had numbers for ya, but I didn't do too well at the track. All I can say is that, it's somewhat noticeable. Gave my opinion about it somewhere in here, a couple of months ago. I like it.
                              <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X