Changing Transmission and Differential Fluid, Need Help! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing Transmission and Differential Fluid, Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Transmission and Differential Fluid, Need Help!

Ok, I've just passed 87,000 miles and I'm thinking it would be very good to change the transmission fluid/filter, clean out the oil pan, and change the differential fluid. I'm going to put here what I know so far and I would like help on anything I'm missing:

1. Buy Valvoline AF3 Tranny Fluid DEXRON III (5 Qts?)

2. Buy GL-5 Gear Oil for Differential (Qts???)

3. Buy New Tranny Filter and Oil Pan Gasket

4. Buy New Differential Gasket

5. What is the seal that the Haynes manual refers to that I believe is above the tranny filter?? Says you need to change it??

6. Take out front and side bolts on pan, loosen rear bolts. Empty all fluid out.

7. Remove pan, remove gasket materials.

8. Change filter (rotates out??) Replace seal??

9. Put in new filter/seal.

10. Use new gasket and reinstall oil pan. Put any tranny fluid in the oil pan when reinstalled????

11. Fill with funnel into tube on passenger side of engine bay.

12. Put into park, rev high after started?? (according to Haynes) and move through all gears with e-brake up??

13. Differential seems easy enough, just need to know how much fluid to buy!

Thanks, hoping to do these both today so quick help is appreciated!
    C. Boney<br />1997 Firebird 3.8L V6<br />---------------------<br />Modifications:<br /> <br /> SLP Cold Air Induction, Ported/Polished Throttle Body, Carsound 3\" High Flow Cat, Sweet Thunder 24\" Chambered Muffler, Removed Rear Exhaust Section, Custom Fan Switch, 35th Anniv. Silver Stripes, Old T/A-Style Silver Sail Birds

For the diff fluid, 2 qts will do the trick. The rest of it looks about right, although I think you'll need more ATF, not sure though... I'm a manual guy. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
    -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

6 qts should be cool for the tranny if all you're doing is dropping the pan. I used 5.5 quarts after putting my shift kit in.
      1997 Y87 Camaro with a motor and some stuff.

Comment

Differential oil is changed, woohoo! That was a rather dirty job, and talk about a pain in the a%! to get that cover off (on since it came from factory!), took the longest at that part. Got some 75W90 gear oil (2 qts), yanked the cover off, wiped the inside out (lint free cloth), put the cover and new gasket back on, tightened all bolts, filled her back up on the side with as much oil as she could take, about 1 3/4 quarts. Running perfect so far and *cross fingers* no leaks as of now. Time consuming but worth it I think, seems quieter now (gears operation i mean). Tranny fluid is the biggie for tomorrow, dropping the pan, cleaning it out, changing filter, new dexron III/mercon going in. Will post results of that after I finish.
        C. Boney<br />1997 Firebird 3.8L V6<br />---------------------<br />Modifications:<br /> <br /> SLP Cold Air Induction, Ported/Polished Throttle Body, Carsound 3\" High Flow Cat, Sweet Thunder 24\" Chambered Muffler, Removed Rear Exhaust Section, Custom Fan Switch, 35th Anniv. Silver Stripes, Old T/A-Style Silver Sail Birds

Comment

a good thing to use is the RVT (?) sealant with the gasket. it keeps it from moving around when you put it on and seals up any other areas for leaks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X