is my tranny bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my tranny bad

ok here's my problem its for a auto camaro,when I start my car in the morning and start driving it the car doesn't pull, it pulls very slowly,the rpms would climb up but the car moves very slowly just like when you don't have any trans fluid,I checked the trans fluid and it was Ok,then when the car heats up the problem goes away and the trans shift perfectly,anyone knows whats wrong
    maybe its my trans

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TurboKillaZ:
    ok here's my problem its for a auto camaro,when I start my car in the morning and start driving it the car doesn't pull, it pulls very slowly,the rpms would climb up but the car moves very slowly just like when you don't have any trans fluid,I checked the trans fluid and it was Ok,then when the car heats up the problem goes away and the trans shift perfectly,anyone knows whats wrong
    maybe its my trans
    <hr></blockquote>

you have a bad case of

WHOOPS I GOT A GOD DAMNED FORD AUTO TRANSMISSION IN MY CAR!!!

no, i'm joking.

actually, i dunno what the problem is. but i wouldn't search the tranny first. if the engine isn't pulling hard, it might be the engine, lol.

also, you might want to check out which car you meant to buy. this is the camaro V6 board, so we are assuming you don't think you have 2 cylinders more??? if you are/were confused and cheated out of 2 cylinders and thinking you got a v8, then i think i have found your problem :D
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

How cold are you talking. When the temperature is colder (like 50* or less) the amount of viscous friction in your drivetrain is considerable. You have 80 wt oil in the rear axle, you have cold oil in your engin, and you also have cold oil in your tranny. All the cold oil is harder to move than when warm. On that same note, when was the last time that you changed your tranny fluid? I think GM says you can pretty much go forever on a tranny fluid change (not really) but you should change it like every 36K miles. My self, the first time that I did it, I put a drain plug in the tranny pan and change the fluid every year. Trannies are expensive. I was also thinking about installing a remote tranny filter. But after 130K miles, my tranny is still going quite strong with regular changes.

Ooops, I got off track. When your oil is is cold, it doesn't flow as well in your torque converter, and through the passages in your tranny. That may make it seem more sluggish. I think that a good case of a bad tranny is when going up a hill and you can feel the slipping. Not just the down-shifting, but slipping. Smell your fluid. If it is brown or smelling burnt, it is time to change again. You'll know the smell, it is awful!!!
      1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

I do not think there is anything wrong w/ your tranny, but, here is something to try.

Get up to 40 mph, slow down to 20. That way your car is in second gear, but has room to go to first. Slam the gas. If the rpms shoot up & then the car shifts really hard (like you hear a dull thud & it scares you a little). That is a slipping transmission.

Another sign is if a shift takes a long time to complete (almost a second).

A severly slipping tranny will also give an ses light (note I said severely).

Personally tho, I think pvtschultz's explanation sounds pretty feasable to me.
        2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X