Questions about Zexel-Torsen diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Zexel-Torsen diff

Okay, i'm researching this now. The SLP zexel-torsen seems to be the most resonable. I have noticed many cars on this board have gone with it.

I was researching on howstuffworks.com and this point popped out.

"However, if one set of wheels loses traction completely, the Torsen differential will be unable to supply any torque to the other set of wheels. The bias ratio determines how much torque can be transferred, and five times zero is zero."

Is this merely an okay diff? Will it be bad in the rain/snow compared to an electronic one?

Thanks
    1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Put it this way: if you had a Torsen diff, and one rear wheel was on solid ice, and the other was on solid ground, you'd still go forward.

Why? Because a limited-slip differental, such as the Torsen, distributes power EVENLY to the rear wheels, instead of transmitting power to the wheel that moves the easist, in the case of an open differental.

Hope that helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    16 years old with no car and big dreams...

Comment

i don't quite understand what that means. i know my torsen can transfer torque to the wheel with traction. it sounds like they are describing an auburn with a loose torque bias. torsen has a pretty tight bias and never not seen it do as they describe. you will like the torsen from slp.
      96 wht. firebird 5sd. rk sport headers,3in.catco, spintech catback,CAI,FRA,3.42/lsd 180*t-stat, centerforce dual friction clutch, ls1 driveshaft, polyurethane trans. mount.<br />01 blk. z28 m6, borla exht, lid, k<br />+n, sfc., chrome 18in. y2k c5 wheels.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by rob231:
        i don't quite understand what that means. i know my torsen can transfer torque to the wheel with traction. it sounds like they are describing an auburn with a loose torque bias. torsen has a pretty tight bias and never not seen it do as they describe. you will like the torsen from slp.<hr></blockquote>

Actually they very specifically mention Zexel complete with trademark plug [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm glad to hear i'd be happy with it.

It's probably only relevant when the car's up on a hoist. Even ice gives 'some' resistance, albeit not much.

Thanks guys! I think i'll buy it once my 3.42's arrive in the mail :D
        1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

Only thing better than the one on slp (which is the one 98+ comes w/ out of the factory) is the zexel T2 racing differential.

Loads better than clutch-type positraction units (like Auburn). Or really any other kind of differential.

If you ever get in a situation in which you have no traction, apply the brakes. Tip from GM to hummer users (which have zexel-torsens). That will create torque with which to multiply (obviously you need to apply the brakes lightly).

Make sure it will fit. 93-97 comes w/ an auburn posi out of the factory. I haven't heard or read either way myself.

[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: strobhen ]</p>
          2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

Well, i'm going to the 3 series carrier with the new gears i've ordered....it comes up on SLP's website as available for 97's... I guess I"ll call them unless someone here has done it on a pre 98?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ravenp:
              Well, i'm going to the 3 series carrier with the new gears i've ordered....it comes up on SLP's website as available for 97's... I guess I"ll call them unless someone here has done it on a pre 98?<hr></blockquote>

I've got one on my 91.
              91 Firebird 3.1<br />SC12 Supercharger<br />LSD w/ 3.73s<br />NOS 80hp wet shot<br />AKA: Phoenix<br />\"If Speed Kills...Consider Me Dead.\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X