Clunking Sound Coming from rear end......??? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clunking Sound Coming from rear end......???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunking Sound Coming from rear end......???

Hey guys, well last october i bought an Auburn Posi Unit, which was a take off unit, but never used, and i also bought used 3.42 gears....I parked my car for the winter, and i should add that these noises where being made right after the install.

I am getting this loud whining sound when i let my foot off the gas and i am in gear (coasting), also, when i shift from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes 2nd to 3rd, i hear a slight clunking sound coming from the rear.

The setup seems to be working properly, i haven't had any problems with it, except for the sounds... any ideas...
    thanks

PV
    Perry V.<br />\'97 Chameleon Bird w/ too many toys to list.<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/umvagia0\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.goecities.com/umvagia0</a>

Gears aren't set up properly. They could have been setup up improperly before so they broke in like that. Now it's too late. Even if now you have them setup properly. Hey, blame it on the install shop and have them pay for new ones. They shouldn't have let you drive off with whiney gears. That just tells you they didn't do their job.

New gears and initial proper setup is the only thing to get rid of the noise. Sounds like the coast side was mis-aligned. I'm assuming when you're at WOT you don't get any noise since you didn't mention it. My Auburn has 10K miles on it and it's still a beast. No noises. Explain the clunking in more detail. That's definitely not good.

I had whiney gears for a few years. It was so annoying.

Unless you have Richmonds, they always whine.

[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: Dom ]</p>

Comment

about whining geas, could be you need to try a different fluid, and I made the mistake of tightening the sway bar with the car up so it threw off the pinion angle a little. Unhook the sway bar, while car is sitting on the ground and set it back up. fixed my whining. clunking I ahve no idea. good luck.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
        about whining geas, could be you need to try a different fluid, and I made the mistake of tightening the sway bar with the car up so it threw off the pinion angle a little. Unhook the sway bar, while car is sitting on the ground and set it back up. fixed my whining. clunking I ahve no idea. good luck.<hr></blockquote>

Heavier fluid like 140W can quiet it down some. Sway bar does not adjust the pinion angle. Only an adjustable torque arm can do that. Your sway bar bushings were clunking. Mine were when I accidently clamped a break line. There was some play in the bushing. Clamped it properly and all the noise was gone. Sway bar bushings will not cause whining.

Comment

I'm just wondering is all this noise actually doing any damage? i mean, i'll probably get brand new gears now instead of used......but the thing i am worried about is the Posi unit......are the noises maybe damaging that.....because as long as everything is running fine (which it is) and the noise is not doing any serious harm, i'll drive it for the rest of the summer and get new gears when i can afford them...

thanks for the help guys i appreciate it.

PV
          Perry V.<br />\'97 Chameleon Bird w/ too many toys to list.<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/umvagia0\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.goecities.com/umvagia0</a>

Comment

I drove on noisy gears for 2 years.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X