Well the nitrous worked great.. but the transmission didn't! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well the nitrous worked great.. but the transmission didn't!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well the nitrous worked great.. but the transmission didn't!

Welp, I got the nitrous hooked up and took her out for a test drive. I hadn't installed the window switch yet, so I took it VERY easy on the shifts. I made a couple passes spraying in third and fourth. Then took one spraying in second. When I shifted to third, I didn't even get all the way in gear and I heard a loud pop then a constant banging coming from the tranny. Luckily I was about 200 yards away from my driveway, so I coasted most of the way home. When I started slowing down to a stop, I went ahead and put it in gear and gave a little gas. The car drives but there is a constant loud bang coming from the tranny. I put the car in the garage and put her up on the stands. From looking through the hole where the hydraulic line goes through, the slave, throwout bearing, and pressure plate all look to be in tact. I cranked it and looked again. The banging was so loud that I couldn't tell if it was coming from the bellhousing or the tranny. I'll be dropping the tranny tomorrow and if everything in the bellhousing looks good, I'll take the tranny to the shop on Monday.

What are your ideas on the problem? I would think that if it was a synchro problem I wouldn't be able to shift gears easily. When the clutch pedal is out, the banging occurs. When I press it in, it will slow to a stop. So I need to look at what stops moving when I press the clutch in. That would be the clutch plate and the input shaft, which turns all the gears in the tranny. I'm thinking synchros or something else in the tranny, but it just doesn't make sense that I can shift easily.

Also, I think the problem is unrelated to the nitrous. I was shifting very carefully. I sprayed thru second, then released the gas pedal entirely, then went to put it in third and bang. I think it would have happened reguardless.

Let me know what you think.
    -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Took the tranny off today. The clutch and throwout bearing are fine. When I spin the input shaft, I hear a knock inside the tranny. I'm considering opening it up and taking a look for myself, but I don't know if I should or not.

[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: 96BeastV6 ]</p>
    -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

You killed third gear man... :( I have done that twice now. Same exact thing you are explaining. It happens when you try to shift into third too fast and then crash!! Bang!! Clunk!! You can probably put it in and out of third while the car is running without pushing the clutch in. I bought a used tranny from a totalled 98 camaro for 800$ put it in and it worked perfect and is cheaper than having it rebuilt. [img]smile.gif[/img] hope this helps man.
      1997 red 3.8 M5-Daily Driver<br />I/E, Magnaflow cat... <br /><br />1990 Talon TSI AWD-Weekend Warrier<br />Forged internals, Front Mount, SS valves, crower springs, -still under construction. Best stock E.T. 14.3@92--&gt;missing 4th doh!!

Comment

Nope, third gear is fine. In fact I put it in third gear and drove home (all of about 200 yards). As for "shifting too fast" ... like I said, I was testing out the nitrous and hadn't installed the window switch yet. I was being VERY careful with my shifts. Anyway.. it's at the trans shop now, and I should be getting a call any time now about the fate of my tranny.

Comment

How did I drive home in third gear? I don't have a clue. The gears for third each have a great big chunk missing from them. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and hopefully get them developed and posted tomorrow.

What was the repair bill? $1220 and some change. Did I have them fix the trans? Heck no.. I bought one out of a 98 camaro for $450. The unit is in Pensicola (about 5 hours from here) so it has to be shipped. Shipping was only $50 though, and hopefully it'll be here by Friday or Saturday. They had one from a 2000 model as well, but it was too much for me. I managed to talk him down from $750 to $635, but that was still too rich for me. After I just spent almost all my money on my nitrous setup, I DID spend all my money today. My current bank account balance is $1.09 :( [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] College life sucks.

Nonetheless, I hope this tranny lasts a bit longer than my last one. [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]

[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: 96BeastV6 ]</p>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X