Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque converter, Which one?

Hello!

I have a 1998 V6 A4 and desperately need a better launch / low end pickup. I was told a new torque converter would help. My question is: Which one? What about stall speed? This is out of the modification encyclopedia:

Precision Industries Vigilante 2700 Stall - This 9.5" torque converter will give your automatic transmission incredible launch capabilities. You can get it for about $735.
    Precision Industries 2100 Stall - This 12" torque converter offers a good improvement over stock while retaining street drivability. In addition, at its competitive price, it won't break your budget. You can get it for about $295.

The vigilante is way to expensive for my tiny wallet. Is the 2100 stall good enough for some noticeable improvement? I have no "serious" mods, but I am thinking of doing nitrous. Oh, I have 3.08 gears too, that is a consideraton. Thanks for any help.

-John

PS: Anyone have this done? Whats the approx labor cost?

I just ordered the Precision Industires Vigilante 3200. It's being installed on the 23rd. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Whisper Lid, SLP CAI, KN Filter, 3\" HiFlo Carsound Cat, full 3\" mandrel-bent piping, Flowmaster 80s, Casper O2 Sim, BM Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 3300 Torque Converter, Corvette Servo, 3.42 gears, SLP take-off LSD, Manual Fan Switch, & 160 Thermostat.

Comment

Im also interested in what kind of gain is from the 2100. Anyone got it?
      NEW 2002 Onyx Black SS Camaro<br />M6, leather, T-tops, Hurst shifter<p>sold: 1999 Pewter V6 A4 Camaro

Comment

I'm waiting to drive my bird.
        I'll post a reaction to my pro yank 3200 n/a and 3600 nitrous
        Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
        nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
        2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
        2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DeathBuzzz:
          Im also interested in what kind of gain is from the 2100. Anyone got it?<hr></blockquote>

1. It will not fit your transmission.

2. Stock is 1800 so 2100 will offer almost no gain.

3. You don't have to buy the Vigilantee, they got that other model which is $500 or less and is the same thing, just doesn't carry that name.

Comment

You can buy a nitrous converter, just don't expect your NA times to be amazing. If you're spraying a 100 shot or less then you don't need a nitrous converter. They are bigger and take more power to turn.

Comment

will you lose any at in the 1/4 with a nitrous converter? what i mean is i ran a best of 14.4 with the yank 2800 now im getting a 3200 n/a 3600 nitrous tc will my n/a et suffer? what would be the difference from getting a 3200 converter and then having it in your car and you hit the juice the stall speed is gonna raise on a regular tc also right? so if i get a tc thats 3200 stall n/a and 3600 on juice or i get a regular tc thats just 3200 stall that regular one is going to be raised also on nitrous i would think..

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: bluecmaro96 ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bluecmaro96:
                will you lose any at in the 1/4 with a nitrous converter? what i mean is i ran a best of 14.4 with the yank 2800 now im getting a 3200 n/a 3600 nitrous tc will my n/a et suffer? what would be the difference from getting a 3200 converter and then having it in your car and you hit the juice the stall speed is gonna raise on a regular tc also right? so if i get a tc thats 3200 stall n/a and 3600 on juice or i get a regular tc thats just 3200 stall that regular one is going to be raised also on nitrous i would think..

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: bluecmaro96 ]
                <hr></blockquote>

Your NA will suffer some. Too many variables to say for sure. 1/10th or 2/10s 3/10s at most. But if you got 5/10s from your converter NA and now you swap them and loose 3/10s then it's probably going to be noticable to you. You're going with a physically bigger converter. More power will be required to turn it. Hence more drivetrain loss. NA and nitrous converters equal out at about 125-150shot. With a bigger shot your NA converter would stall way to high, past your power band so it will start hurting you. Nitrous converter is made so it has more area to absorb the instant torque spike and not stall so high on nitrous.

So if you're driving with a NO 3200stall and hit the gas it will go up some but not nearly as much as a loose NA 3200stall.

Yank Extreme better with a 150 shot + then a Super Thruster. Other then that it's not as good. Difference depends on the amount of nitrous.

If I ever get a converter then it's most likely NA one since I don't see myself spraying 150 on regular basis to justify it. If I'm ever going for some nitrous record then I'll get the Extreme for a few days.

I had way more experience with converters on LS1s then V6s. Party cause noone had a real converter on a V6 yet and it's hard to guess. The numbers I gave you applied to LS1s. They might be slightly different with V6s, but it should be very close. I'm seeing 7/10s gain from properly setup cars with good converters on LS1s. V6ers probably get 5/10s. We also have a different power band. Can't stall as high. LS1s can safely spin up to 7K. We're stuck at 6K right now. 6.2K should be safe. More then that and it's a risk.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X