Standard stuck in 4th.. any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard stuck in 4th.. any ideas?

alrighty guys and gals, I got a 98 5-speed. This evening I was out driving.. go to downshift out of 4th and it won't go.... anywhere... the shifter is stuck firmly in 4th right now.. (that was a fun drive home :mad: )

the clutch is disengaging when I press it.. but the stick won't move I have tried pushing pulling jamming.. nothing..

once the car is stopped and shut off it is still stuck... no matter what I do it stays in 4th.. I was going to let it sit up overnight and cool off then go from there..

I have never heard of or had this happen before..

please help... :(

I forgot to add.. I am getting no grinding noise.. no whirring.. nothing out of the ordinary in the way it drives rides or anything else.. it just won't come out of 4th..

second edit.. I couldn't wait.. ;) all is cool again.. but a word to those with aftermarket shifters.. when you set your stops.. tighten the $hit outta those jam nuts.. in a matter of a few minutes of driving I had the front stop come loose and work it's way all the way up to stop the shifter from getting out of 4th..

who would have thought the stop (a long bolt) could have worked itself 3 inches in, in the matter of a few minutes.. :( oah well at least I didn't tear up my tranny..

[ June 12, 2002: Message edited by: black98V6 ]</p>
    -Brad
    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
    :rock:

What kind of shifter do you have?
    Joe<br />1995 3.4 Teal Camaro<br />80 Series Flowmaster<br />B&M Ripper Shifter<br />K&N Air Filter

Comment

I have the hurst billet plus.. I will be putting locktite on everything today to prevent this from happening again..
      -Brad
      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
      :rock:

Comment

I had this happen in my chevelle thought I had locked up the tranny because it had ran low on fluid.
        2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

My car does it occasionally but very rarely. Course my car throuws me out of revers, occasionall out of 2nd, and gets stuck in 4th at times.

I jsut push the clutch in and hit it as hard as I can with an open fist seems to work. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I need another tranny. :(

Comment

I had it happen with my billet plus, only it was the bottom screw that had worked its way in, so I couldn't get the car to stay in 2nd. That was an interesting drive home in stop and go traffic.
            2000 Chameleon Trans Am M6 factory hurst, T-tops, 5.7L LS1<p>(Traded my six in)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              3 days ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              2 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X