how can i tell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can i tell?

recently i did an axle swap on my car and put the rear axle from a z28 on there. it's suppose to have 3.42's/lsd, but i'm starting to wonder if i didn't maybe get 3.73's instead. the main reason i think this is because a former member of the board had installed 3.73's and said his speedo was 25mph off, and that's where mine is now. i know there is a formula where you can figure out from rpm, tire diameter, mph, and another number what gears you have, but i can't remember what it is. anybody have any clues?
    you can\'t get off if you don\'t get on

mph = (rpm x tire diameter) / (gear ratio x 336)

rpm = (mph x gear ratio x 336) / tire daimeter

gear ratio = (rpm x tire diameter) / (mph x 336)

tire diameter = (mph x gear ratio x 336) / rpm

Be happy you have 3.73s.

Comment

Oh yeah, make sure you know how to use the gear ratio number. It's overall.

Comment

now i'm all confused. according to those formulas, i have 33.7" diameter tires. when i measure them, i come up with 26". that changes the gear ratio quite a bit. if i go with 33.7", i have 3.73's. if i go with 26" i have 3.08's. what did i mess up here?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dom:
          Oh yeah, make sure you know how to use the gear ratio number. It's overall.<hr></blockquote>

Comment

dude i'm sorry, that really sucks. so someone screwed you over and put the 3.08's in there and you thought you had the 3.73's? sorry bro.
            2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

got a little help from backfire, reworked the numbers i was putting in, used a couple different formulas for verification, and i do have 3.73's. not bad considering i thought i was getting 3.42's, and my mileage really isn't that horrible. i still get between 20 and 25 mpg. now to get on the track and see what i can do there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                2 days ago
              • ssms5411
                Little work today
                by ssms5411
                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                2 weeks ago
              • LETZRIDE
                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X