Can figure out what this noise is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can figure out what this noise is

Well, for a while I have been hearing a noise, but only recently is it getting louder.

In the morning, or whenever the engine's cold, when i start the car and put it into gear, i always hear a kind of grinding noise, or like there's something loose up under the engine making a rattling noise. I have no idea, but i'm guessing it's something to do with the trans.
    only because it makes the noise only when in gear. Also, once the car gets warmed up (driven for like 2 min.) the noise goes away and I don't hear it for the rest of the day.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts as to what it could be. Thanks.
    1995 3.4

I get the same thing. as if somthing is rattling up there, it's really bad when you give it a quick rev, then when it comes down you can REALLY hear it. I'm thinking it's either some loose bolts or teh torque converter. So i dunno. But mine doesn't go away.......
    1996 Red Camaro 3.8L<br />Details, you say? Go here.<br /><a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/trek/brl866s/camaro.html\" target=\"_blank\">Slick Red</a><p>\"A Great Warrior defeats his enemies by smashing their fists with his face.\" - A Great Warrior

Comment

this is a complete shot in the dark but maybe it's exhaust related..
      here's the idea:
      start car and everything is cold and loose.. while car is in part the trans is disengaged.. put car into drive/reverse, well now trans is engaged.. this means more stuff moving and straining the motor which would make your exhaust different/louder and resonate differently.. well something in the exhaust is loose and rattling.. as you drive everything warms up and expands and tightens up.. rattling goes away..

anyway it's a quick theory that came to mind when I read your post.. hopefully it will help
      -Brad
      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
      :rock:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X