Changing stock gears, help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing stock gears, help

Ok, so ive decided to change the ol 3.08 gears. Now im 18 I drive my car ALOT, to school, hanging around etc etc. I thought about 3.73s but ive heard if the cars a daily driver these wouldnt be to good. So im pretty much decided on the 3.43 gears with posi. So has anyone gone from 3.08 to 3.43? and if so, did you feel any differance?! Also if anyone has had 3.43 and changed to 3.73. What do you think?! im still not 100% decided on which gears to get. Thanks alot
    KeN

PS i have a 99 firebird

3.73s have computer issues and reprogramming is expensive.

3.42s (not 3.43s) are probably the best all-around gear. you can get your pcm recallibrated so that speedo/odo/shifts are correct for pretty easily.

do a search if you need more info.
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

definitely go with 3.42's if youre worried about daily driveability

do some searches. there's an endless amount of topics on this

Good luck [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: Loochy88 ]</p>

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

hmm..still dont kno which to go with. Decisions decisions lol well if anyone has 3.73s on a daily driven car please post and let me know how everything is holding up. Thanks!

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: XxKeNxX ]</p>

Comment

GM put 3.73 gears in a lot of cars from the factory: 3rd gen Camaros, Monte Carlo SS (80's vintage), countless trucks, even my brother's old 90 Buick Electra Estate wagon had 3.73 behind a 307 Olds engine. What I'm saying is if GM sees it fit to put 3.73's in other production vehicles and still offer warranties, their engineers must feel it will not adversely affect the rest of the drivetrain.

If you can get the computer mods done, I say go with the 3.73.

If I change gears, I will probably go to 4.10. I plan lots of intake/head work and other mods before I do that though. I have a 20+ minute mostly freeway drive, but I think it can handle it.
          1995 Camaro M5 3.4 Quasar Blue Metallic with T-tops.<br />K&N, Jet Stage II chip, Z28 exhaust, 1LE aluminum ds. Need more power!<br />Next: Auburn posi<br />1976 Pontiac Trans Am. Street driven. Has low compression 350 Chevy runs 12.81 @ 104, 1.73 60\'

Comment

go with 3.73's...trust me!

performance- your car will be a beast outa the hole.

gas mileage- i really didnt notice a significant difference to where gas was burning a hole in my wallet.

going from 3.08's to 3.73's will be a major increase in performance.

I drove my car 25miles to work and 25 back.

its up to you, but you will not be disappointed with 3.73's....i sure as hell arent [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
            94 3.4L A4 white t-tops<br />moroso cai<br />3\"hi-flow pacestter exhaust<br />b&m shift kit<br />catco cat<br />01 T/A rear w/ 3.73\'s and posi<br />1 pc aluminum ds<br />blacked out signals

Comment

3.73s!!!!!!!!
              6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

I have 3.73s on my car. I have to get the reluctor ring installed so my ABS work again and I have the reprogrammer for the speedo that needs to be installed. But I drive my car all over (city/highway) and aside from it taking up a bit more gas, I've got no problems at all.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by XxKeNxX:
                hmm..still dont kno which to go with. Decisions decisions lol well if anyone has 3.73s on a daily driven car please post and let me know how everything is holding up. Thanks!

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: XxKeNxX ]
                <hr></blockquote>

Comment

Approx. what are the time gains, with either gears? I know there are a LOT of variables (other mods, the car, weather, etc, etc) to concider, but on average. What gains have you guys seen?
                  And I know they don't increase power but better utilizes what you already have (yes, i have been reading as well, some).

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: satellite98 ]</p>
                  1998 3.8 Camaro A4, <br />B&B Triflow CatBack,Whisper Lid, <br />1987 s10 Blazer 350 V8 shift kit,

Comment

youll be happy with 3.42s too, you cant really go wrong, depends on if your fixin the speedo or not-i scare ppl by showing 120 wehn its more like 108 hehe
                    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited<br /><br /><br />MODS:<br />180* t-stat, K&N FIPK, mopar ECU,<br />mike leach long tube headers+3\" y-pipe, 3\" all the way out flowmaster 50 series, mopar magnum 2bbl m1 intake manifold, APS 52mm throttle body, powerslots, 2 JL 10w3\'s

Comment

go with 4.10s if you won't be on the highway much. get your pcm programmed by zoomer at zzperformance for about $300, get your limiters taken off while you are at it and you'll see huge improvements. some say top end dies with a high gear...well, they are wrong. i have a friend with a 96 maro and 4.10s...his limiter is at 89 mph and when he raced his car with 4.10s and exhaust, he hit that speed limiter 3 times in the quarter mile and had a final time of 15.0@89 mph. imagine his times without the damn limiters...
                      2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X