Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused about gear install

hey guys, got a few Q's
    i called a local race shop (Lizzard Racing) out here on long island and i told them i want to swap my 308 gears for 342's that i got. they guy asked me if i have rear disc brakes (which i dont know the answer to, you can call me dumb) then he said that i need a posi for this to work. I bought the lsd from slp and from what ive gathered, that should work along w/ the various small parts they can order since i didnt buy the install kit. so am i wrong or is he? i am not very knowledgeable on this whole subject, maybe im missing something but any help would really be appreciated. thanks!
    black 2000 camaro v6<br />GTS blackouts, 20% tint all around, clear corners, Panasonic Head Unit, Whisper lid & Whisper ram air, 3.42 gears w/ LSD, 3\" Edelbrock Catback, Mac SFC\'s, Milhouse box from Subthump w/ 12\' Kicker SL7<p>LIFBA Member #044 <br /><a href=\"http://www.lifba.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.lifba.com</a>

do a search on gear install for sure.

you'll need an install kit because i doubt the shop will have a lot of stuff around and they'll probably wind up using old crap already in the rear now and you'll have leakage/whinings later on. you also need an abs reluctor ring from slp. and a pinion nut.

like i said, do a search and you'll get a lot more info. so much stuff has been said about this stuff that it hurts my head to even try to right it all down, haha. good luck.
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

POSI and LSD are the same thing. You should be good to go. As for the brakes, you probably don't have rear ones. Just look and see. If you drums instead of brake calipers and rotors on the back wheels then you don't have rear brakes.
      <b>Black 1996 3.8L Firebird A4</b><br />--------------------------<br />Custom CAI, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, 160 Deg Thermo, BMR ShockTower Brace<br />JVC mp3 HU, two 12\" Infinity Kappa Perfects, Infinity 6.5\" components, JBL 600.1 & 80.4 amps <br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/479229363CPbPiz\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Akuma:
        As for the brakes, you probably don't have rear ones. <hr></blockquote>

actually, i am pretty sure he has rear brakes [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Akuma:
        Just look and see. If you drums instead of brake calipers and rotors on the back wheels then you don't have rear brakes.<hr></blockquote>

when he says this...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bad2000v6:
        they guy asked me if i have rear disc brakes (which i dont know the answer to, you can call me dumb) <hr></blockquote>

...i am led to believe that he cannot make the recognition between drum brakes and disc brakes...

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
        2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

It's a 2000.

And by this relationship...
          2000 &gt; 1997 I have mathematically proved that he has rear disk brakes.
          Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

well looking at the rear brakes, they look like calipers to me but im no genius, just trying to figure out what to tell the guy before i bring in the car- he doesnt seem to believe that the gears and the lsd will work
            black 2000 camaro v6<br />GTS blackouts, 20% tint all around, clear corners, Panasonic Head Unit, Whisper lid & Whisper ram air, 3.42 gears w/ LSD, 3\" Edelbrock Catback, Mac SFC\'s, Milhouse box from Subthump w/ 12\' Kicker SL7<p>LIFBA Member #044 <br /><a href=\"http://www.lifba.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.lifba.com</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bad2000v6:
              well looking at the rear brakes, they look like calipers to me but im no genius, just trying to figure out what to tell the guy before i bring in the car- he doesnt seem to believe that the gears and the lsd will work<hr></blockquote>

Ummm, a retarded monkey can tell the difference between a disc brake and a drum brake. You don't need to be a genius. :rolleyes:

Comment

All of the V6's from MY1998 and after came with rear disk brakes. If you have a 2000, you have disk brakes in the rear.
                Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X